Fan touching cover

Hi all,

I've noticed a noise from under the bonnet when I start her up and discovered that it was the fan touching the fan cover (is there a proper name for this??)

Anyway, it goes away after the engine has been running a while.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know of a simple solution?

It started happening shortly after I drove her down from the Lakes through Wales, Oxfordshire and to Essex, all in one long run with only a few short stops. It was a long journey and a hot day. I'm thinking that maybe it got hot and has gone out of shape a bit.

Thanks,

John

Hi all,

I've noticed a noise from under the bonnet when I start her up and discovered that it was the fan touching the fan cover (is there a proper name for this??)

Anyway, it goes away after the engine has been running a while.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know of a simple solution?

It started happening shortly after I drove her down from the Lakes through Wales, Oxfordshire and to Essex, all in one long run with only a few short stops. It was a long journey and a hot day. I'm thinking that maybe it got hot and has gone out of shape a bit.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I had exactly the same problem on my 200Tdi.

On mine the cowling had definitely deformed, it was due to the underbonnet noise/heat insulation drooping and resting on the cowl.

I fixed it by taking the viscous fan off and fitting an electric fan, that solution probably doesn't help you though. Maybe a gentle warming with a hot air gun and then manipulating it back into shape before cooling it with cold water? Dunno if that would work but it's worth a try.

HTH,

Mark.

Hi all,

I typed a reply earlier and then my iphone crashed and I lost it <_<

Ron, thanks for the tip. I had a look at the engine mounts not too long ago as my engine was knocking quite a bit, especially on start up. They looked fine to me and after adjusting the throttle stop bolt the engine was ticking over at a better rate and the knocking was greatly reduced.

Mark, thanks for that. My under bonnet insulation has started to sag so I wonder if the weight of this combined with the heat of the engine on a long journey have combined to deform the cowling. The fan touches the cowling even when the bonnet is open so the cowling is definitely out of shape or out of position. If it is out of shape I may have to consider doing what minime suggests or finding a new cowling. I don't have a hot air gun and would probably cock up any attempt to reshape it anyway :rolleyes:

I've not had the chance to look under the bonnet today as I've been busy at work and didn't get home until 9pm. I'll have a look in the morning and see whats what.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

John

• 2 weeks later...