Best money I've spent on anything in a long while

FridgeFreezer

Since I rebuilt it ~5 years ago my truck has been running TIC parabolics and ProComp ES9000 shocks (part# 93200X which have 14" travel) and they have suffered a hell of a beating. It's always been bouncy and rattly (it's a Series, and my unsprung weight is higher than most) but during a little jaunt to Russia that observant chap Dirtydiesel noticed that, on rough tracks, my wheels would hit the first bump and then only land on the 3rd, 5th and 7th bump - clearly more damping required then!

I was hoping to upgrade to Old Man Emu as we know they're decent quality, but was unable to find any useful data from them, if they make anything suitable with 14" travel they're not admitting to it.

While I was pondering alternatives, up popped Mr ToyRoverLander with his very cool 109 running some rather nice looking Bilstein shocks. This seemed ideal - Bilstein don't make tat and TRL's landy has plenty of travel ;) A couple of favours from some friends on the other side of the pond (thanks all) and I had my hands on four 5125 Bilsteins (F4-BE5-6250-H5, 14.3" travel, 255/70 valving) from Summit Racing for £220 all in, landed in the UK. I call that a bargain for any sort of shock not made by Britprat.

So, off with the ProComps and on with the Bilsteins - on the front this involved fitting +2" shock turrets from Gwyn Lewis as the Bilsteins have a little more travel and a ~1.9" longer body. On the rear I already had the headroom, just! :ph34r:

What can I say, I drove the truck to work today and it's totally transformed it. I know people often claim parabolics ride as like a coiler (which they don't), this doesn't ride the same as a coiler but it's as comfy as one, on the motorway you'd be hard pushed to call the difference between this and a 110 with HD springs. It really has taken all of the jolting & bouncing out. You still know if you hit a speed bump at 30, but your fillings stay in and everything stays composed.

All in all, I'm as happy as a happy thing, it's made the 109 so much nicer to drive - just in time for the trek to Seven Sisters too! :D I'll see how they do off-road and report back.

Out with the old:

Image353.jpg

In with the new - so bright you've gotta wear shades ^_^

Image377.jpg

Those shocks are awesome! They really are that good. I got sh*t from people saying that a sprung over Landy, on my very soft springs, would ride terribly, lean like a boat in the corners, high Co'G...bla bla bla... These shocks managed to give the 109 an awesome ride, especially now it's a no-top... Without any weight up top this thing corners almost like a sportscar... perhaps a bad one at that but nonetheless, it hardly leans at all.. So yes, a SOA 109 CAN ride really good! I really reckon it rides way better than a 110.

Plus you can't really go bad with Bilstein, they do make top notch stuff.. just too bad they don't stay that nice and shiny for all too long..

Summit Racing are the schitz. I am always happy to buy from them. Prices are good and service is better.

Aye, but their catalogue is a very dangerous thing to have laying about the house! :ph34r:

What road pressures do you run? That would have an effect too I would think.

Probably "far too high" for the tyre size TBH, around 25-30psi, I'm sure they'd be better lower but I've not had time/inclination to experiment.

@TRL: I nearly painted them & the mounts black to reduce the bling factor, but they're going to get covered at Seven Sisters next weekend anyway :D

Interesting, was looking at EMU's myself, but these could be a good option as well. Is there any adjustability on them?

Also, there doesnt seem a 10" stem/stem version available, does you catalogue show dimensions for OEM replacement shocks?

Daan

Is there any adjustability on them?

Sadly no adjustability for this series...

Also, there doesnt seem a 10" stem/stem version available, does you catalogue show dimensions for OEM replacement shocks?

Here're a few sizes to give an idea...

Travel: 8.6"

Extended Length: 22.5"

CompressedLength: 14.06"

PN 33-185606

Travel: 9.24"

Extended Length: 24.35"

CompressedLength: 15.11"

PN 33-186542

Travel: 9.24"

Extended Length: 24.35"

CompressedLength: 15.11"

33-186542

Get the whole catalog here:

Bilstein

Have fun

:)

fridge, you say you got all 4 for £220 - is that including postage and the dreaded import taxes as well?

It did involve pulling in a couple of favours delivery-wise, so I wouldn't bank on matching that price. To be honest I've happily pay more for the shocks, they seem very good quality compared to the likes of ProComp - more like an expensive shock with the adjustable bits / remote reservoir removed than a cheap basic shock trying to be rufty tufty.

fridge, you say you got all 4 for £220 - is that including postage and the dreaded import taxes as well?

Just to give you an idea, I, and a mate of mine too, paid around 400euros for 4 of them, including shipping, tax and import duties...

That was last year for him and about 2years ago for me.