whats your view on the goodwinch g12?

hi all,ive got the chance to buy a goodwinch g12 but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them,ive curently got a goodwinch tds9.5i goldfish on my truck but wondered what would be the gains of fitting a g12 (if any),i dont compete but do a lot of offroading

009beb.jpg

The G12 is a great old-school winch. David Bowyer started with a Superwinch X9 and modified it to solve most of the inherent problems like waterproofing.

However, when the Goldfish series winches came along - they incorporated all the improvements and a few more (like the cone brake) - so the G Series winches, which were more expensive, were not viable any more.

If you've got a Tds - I'd stick with it. The G12, while it's a nice winch will not offer you an advantage.

Si

thanks for the reply simon,to be honest im quite impressed with the tds,a mate of mine's got a standard 8274 and under load the tds(mines the 173 ratio & fitted 2 batterys) is about the same speed,its just the no-load line speed i was wanting to improve as thats where he benefits everytime as soon as he gets traction,an 8274 is what i was wanting and was then going to fit the tds on the rear,just thought the g12 might have been a cheaper alternative but think i'll hang on for an 8274,thanks again simon

Yes the G12 may be a little dated now but was well ahead of it's day at the time.

I can only think of one other winch with grease'able bearings so that is one advantage over a tds. Another is the rated pull...12,000lb. The G12 may be a bit slower as it might be lower geared to get the 12.000 rating. BUT at the time would have been fitted with a 4.6hp 4000rpm bow motor, stick a 6.8hp 5000rpm bow2 & turbo pack on it & it would be ''kin awesome.

I'd have the G12 over the tds anyday.

I have an early G10 - the original DB modification of the X9 (the G12 came later), mines is with the smaller 2.8hp motor (still the original).

I think it is very good - Why:

1. It sits unused on the truck for months and just works when you want to use it.

2. It has been dunked many times in deep water and goo and has only been stripped & cleaned once by DB in the 10 years I've had it - still works perfectly.

3. Strong pull - only managed to stall it once - burried in slab sand and single line pull.

Negatives:

1. Not fast with no load - as mentioned would be better with quicker motor.

2. As mentioned - powered payout is very slow and generates lots of heat with the in drum brake design - so freewheel is the way forward to get the line off. This does also make it a pain for lowering.

Great for a front winch - would never put on the back of the truck!

Mark.

some good info there thanks for the replies fella's,but i think im gonna hang on for an 8274 and buy one of the gwyn lewis winch trays.

as i said im planning on fitting the tds to the rear,dont suppose any one got any pics or links for a rear winch settup,or pro's & cons of best place to mount it?(i will try doing a search but im not great with computers lol)thanks

Beastbackendprere-fit8Jan2011low.jpg

Defiantely not right on the rear end, as the mid mount position lets the winch self reeve. You can pull from any angle for the whole rope length and not worry what its doing :D On ours we popped in two virtical tubes to stop the top winch point colapsing the cage. Its a good brace/winch-mount combo.

Here's the winch rollers with roller for the top point hoop.

4x4showMarch2010low.jpg

Why not add a bowmotor 2 to yor TDS winch. Should improve both line pull and no load speed

bob

ive thought about that mate & also been looking at the 24v power inverters that dave bowyer sells,apperantly the bowmotors will work on 12 or 24v,

ideally im wanting to add a second winch and with the tds being a low line thought it'd be ideal for a rear winch

Beastbackendprere-fit8Jan2011low.jpg

Defiantely not right on the rear end, as the mid mount position lets the winch self reeve. You can pull from any angle for the whole rope length and not worry what its doing :D On ours we popped in two virtical tubes to stop the top winch point colapsing the cage. Its a good brace/winch-mount combo.

Here's the winch rollers with roller for the top point hoop.

4x4showMarch2010low.jpg

im really likeing that idea mate,think i'll have a look this weekend & see if i can do something similar,thanks for the pics

Don't get me wrong - I think the G series winches are fantastic! I used to own a G10! It's just that the Tds winches are hard to beat, particularly for the money.

I posted a thread in the Tools & Fab forum about how I've made my Tds as fast as an 8274 no load and a good deal faster under full load than a standard Tds.

One of the problems with putting a Bow2 on a Tds is it will not fit between the chassis rails of a Land Rover. This was the starting point of my adaption in the T&F. But then realised I could fit 2 or even 3 motors!

Si