VED rates?

smo

Having not been around for a while i'm a little out of touch with the "basics".

Can anyone enlighten me as to the current VED rates for defenders??

Is it the same for a 200tdi as a TD5, are truck cabs any different to Station wagons?

I think

pre 2001 are £185 - £210 i think.

and after 2001 they are £400 ish

and a brand new 2010 are £900 ish

thats if i understand the rules...which i probably don't

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

http://www.car-emissions.com/cars/model/LAND+ROVER/Defender+Station+Wagon

Hmm, that government page is great if you know the VED band.....which i dont!

I presume that most TD5's (pre 2006) fall in at band K £260/year.....or is a pickup a light goods vehicle @ £210/year?

I think

pre 2001 are £185 - £210 i think.

and after 2001 they are £400 ish

and a brand new 2010 are £900 ish

thats if i understand the rules...which i probably don't

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

http://www.car-emissions.com/cars/model/LAND+ROVER/Defender+Station+Wagon

WTF

£900 VED

What the he'll has happen since I left the Uk

Do you get a chauffeur with that one

Ali

Hmm, that government page is great if you know the VED band.....which i dont!

I presume that most TD5's (pre 2006) fall in at band K £260/year.....or is a pickup a light goods vehicle @ £210/year?

There is a cap on VED class for 2001-2006 Defenders - as you suggest, about £260/year. It depends on the original registration as to whether a pre-2011 Defender is a car or a van - you are looking for a letter 'N' or 'M' on the V5. If it is an M then it is a car and cannot be changed.

Chris

Mine is £210 per year. Which is a lot better than the 2007 was at £400 plus :blink:

That's for for a 2011 11 plate 110. All 2011 models were reclasified as Light Utility by Landrover. Category N on the V5 as said previously.

Ok, thanks, i shall bear that in mind.

I have seen a rather lovely Puma engined truck cab which takes my fancy, but then i think how little i will use it and what i actually want it for and it seems like an awful lot of money on a "toy"!!!

Do i take it getting a vehicle reclassified is a non-starter?

I tried it with my 2004 110 Td5 SW classed as 'M' (diesel car) on the V5. The paperwork all went easily in the DVLA local office but a few days later I got a letter saying that they would not do it, cancelling my tax and telling me to re-tax it as a diesel car. This was followed by a period where they would not give me a V5 in any category despite my having re-taxed it as 'Diesel Car'.

A truck cab will be £210/year (for now!) as it will be classified an 'N' (commercial) for tax purposes. This would appear to continue to be the case even if it became a CSW later in life...

Chris

To start with nothing has fundementally changed in the last few years with regards to the overall rates - apart from showroom tax (only applicable on brand new cars amd build into RRP - and the reclassification of all 2011 Model year vehicles.

Defenders registered upto 22nd March 2006 - no major variations in road tax rate (all £195ish - £245ish).

Defenders registered on/after 23rd March 2006:-

1st you need to know what body type your Defender is - in simple terms (if pre 2011 model year) if it was a factory hard top, pick-up , utility station wagon or double cab pick-up it would be a commercial in terms of road tax, if it was a station wagon it would attract the higher tax rate. This would mean Station wagon around £445 per year to tax others £210 to tax.

All variation of 2011MY onwards are £210 to tax as all reclassified as N1 commercial.

The £950 only applied to 1st year tax on new station wagons (pre 2011MY - not subsequent annual re-taxing - so no-one will ever have to pay this on any Defender they buy now - absolute max is £445).

So SMO - the truck cab you have seen will be £210 per annum if registered on/after 23rd March 2006 about £195 if registered before.

Regards

Mark.