slightly pitted swivels

Guys,

I've got my NS swivel off my '86 Ninety with the intention of replacing the swivel seal which has been leaking despite having one shot grease in there.

I've discovered about a dozen little pits in the swivel, mainly in a small line which seems a bit odd.

Can I clean these - wire wool or v.fine wet and dry - and rebuild the hub with new seals and one shot.

Or is it a case of if there is any kind of pitting it is buggered?

I can get a photo but I'm covered in grease at the minute!!!

I've tried the search but it just seems to mention pitted = dead.

Oh, if you do recommend replacing it, can you also recommend a supplier. I'm currently only looking at the part on Rimmers.

Thanks for your help as always

IanB

Guys,

I've got my NS swivel off with the intention of replacing a seal which has been leaking despite having one shot grease in there.

I've discovered about a dozen little pits in the swivel.

Can I clean these - wire wool or v.fine wet and dry - and rebuild the hub with new seals and one shot.

Or is it a case of if there is any kind of pitting it is buggered?

I can get a photo but I'm covered in grease at the minute!!!

I've successfully repaired them with epoxy or plastic metal in the past.

You have to make sure they're very clean before anything will adhere properly. I'd recommend a brake cleaner or some such. Very fine wet/dry to remove any flaking chrome then flat them off after applying the epoxy/plastic metal.

It is only a "temporary" fix but if you make a good job they should last well.

A lot will depend on the environment the car is used in too. Lots of off road with mud and dirt and they'll not last as long as being used in a purely on-road environment.

HTH

Mark.

Thanks for the very quick replies guys.

The old girl is just my toy these days, she doesn't really get used that much and according to the MOTs has only done 3000miles in the last 5 years...

Though I swear that is going to change when she's back on the road.

I've had a little go at flatting off the pitted chrome and its brought out the pitting a bit more. Most of it is off the normal running line, though there are couple of pits right on this at the very bottom.

Are the swivels interchangeable Left to Right?

If so I might try buying one and fixing the best of the two currently on as they are both leaking and it might be a useful experiment.

I've already bought the following gaskets

FRC3988 Drive Flange Gasket £1.38

FTC3648 Stub Axle Gasket £1.72

FTC3646 CHROME BALL TO AXLE CASE GASKET £1.72

FRC4206 SWIVEL BALL GASKET £1.92

and the big rubber seal which I don't have a price for.

those are LR main dealer prices and don't include VAT

And from searching for the descriptions for each of them the LR price is ruddy ridiculous.

For two of each of the above - 8 gaskets - it cost me £16.18 incl VAT

If I buy a new swivel what else do I need ?

There is another small seal at the back of the swivel for one thing - drive shaft?

Do I need to buy a new lower bearing and upper pin (is this a pinion?) and what about shims?

Phew. I'll go wash my hands now!

Thanks very much

IanB

If you've already disassembled things to the point of having the ball/swivel assembly off, you might as well reassemble with new parts.

Think about it: how long did it take to strip it down? How long will it take to reassemble it all? How pig-sick will you feel if you have to do it all again at next MOT-time?

(I always find MOT-time is January, when it's freezing-cold and dark and wrestling with the sub-zero oily entrails of a Land-Rover is a rather unattractive prospect).

--Tanuki

"I have prior-art claim on "I can't believe it's not Jesus" low-calorie salt-reduced communion wafers and 'Christ-Lite' alcohol-free communion wine. My next release is the 40 days and 40 nights Christian detox-plan [as used by Jesus himself!]

You are quite right Tanuki.

Guys please forget all the daft questions above because after finding this thread

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=52920

I've decided I'll be phoning Paddock tomorrow and ordering a swivel kit.

Fingers crossed for the other side or this is going to get a tad more expensive than I thought.

thanks everyone for your help (as usual)

IanB

Well top marks to Paddock for their service.

I ordered the kits yesterday at 9:00 and paid £5 for the Special Delivery rather than the free 3-4 days normal delivery.

They arrived by Fedex at 08:00 this morning - less than 23hrs later.

I had considered having a run up in the TVR to collect them but £5 wouldn't have even covered the fuel.

Oh, I bit the bullet and got 2 kits, so I'm not buggering about when I get around the other side.

I've started cleaning up the bit which are going back on, and getting ready for putting it together.

I have 2 of the metal plates which go behind the swivel with the seal, and a paper gasket of the same shape as the metal plates.

Its not obvious how these and the seal fit in either of the tech archives I'm following so can someone tell me the sequence they follow to go back together.

I think its swivel / rubber seal / metal plate / gasket / metal plate but thats an educated guess more than anything.

Sorry to have to ask this, but I had help pulling it apart and he was a bit gung ho and didn't note how they came off.

I tell a lie guys, I've found this comment in the Rebuilding a 110 front hub tech archive

"Whatever method you use - make sure the seal is the right way round - and in the correct order - that is, seal first, then gasket, and finally the two retaining plates"

OK, so a stupid question, why are there 2 retaining plates sitting back-to-back?