A nice lights-on warning

One of the reasons I have a defender is that I HATE cars that are smarter than their drivers; headlights that turn on automatically in the dark, automatic parking brakes, <BONG> your keys are in the ignition, <BONG> the door is open, <BONG> you shouldn't be allowed to drive etc. etc. However, for my arrogance, the gods have seen fit to have me leave the parking lights on a few times, and it might only be a matter of time before I come back to a dimly glowing truck with a flat battery. <_<

So, I think I should wire up a lights-on warning 'buzzer'. Wiring it isn't a problem, but I don't want a buzzer. I'd like a single "by-the-way dude, the lights are on" beep rather than the usual "YOU F*&"£$£$G MORON, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE" claxon type affair usually found.

So, where would I find such a buzzer/sounder before my battery goes fla..... ?

:ph34r:

There are plenty of self contained buzzers like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/290572639282 for not a lot of cash but these would sound continuously driving you to self harm very quickly.

However you could drive this from a 555 timer configured in the monostable mode, you'd need a few logic chips as well to 'notice' you left the lights on and a small voltage regulator I guess.... Hmmm someone must do a kit... and it would still be a buzz, not a nice soothing melodic caress suggesting you turn the lights off

Funny you mention this.......I was just working in Peru and I am gutted I didn't buy these crazy sounders that all the tut-tuts have wired in them. You can get them for about £3 on our money. Really simple, just takes a live feed and can play ridiculously funny tunes......choice of about 100 various fun noises/tunes/phrases that are selectable or random. They wire them in place of the horns but there' no reason you couldn't wire one into the headlamp relay with a cleverer relay that activates this device the moment your ignitions off but the lights are on. It had loads of WWII submarine alarm noises etc etc.....there was even a quirky pirate voice that shouted "Capt'n Overboard" with a thick Cornish / SPanish accent that I was particularly fond of......but there was also "Turn your effing lights off" option.

My solution is the "YOU F*&"£$£$G MORON, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE" claxon type affair"

I used an FL40T buzzer from Maplin, squeezed in a box with a relay that was a little bigger than a box of matches (the entire box that is, not the relay :D).

This is housed in my fusebox area and is plenty loud enough. I made one for my Dad too. Has saved me plenty of times- did take a while to get used to and at first it would make me jump!

There's a plan in my mind, going to have a look when the 110's dash goes back together. Either using a mechanical switch or a reed switch and a magnet mounted on the vent flap. Easy enough to do though with a relay and some sensible wiring :)

Would need an override switch of course, since I often leave the vents open if the vehicle is to be parked up on a hot (dry) day.