Hub Nut Socket

Is there anyone near East Midlands Airport with a hub nut socket/box spanner - its 52mm (2.1/16" in old money) who wouldn't mind lending it to me for a couple of days next week?

I can give you references confirming I'm a good guy - look me up on Pistonheads as Barreti, or leave you a deposit on it if you'd prefer.

I've been up to Notts Army Surplus, Machine Mart, Jeyes in Netherfield but nobody has one.

I know I can get one off fleabay or from Paddock but having replaced the swivel now I just want to get on with the job on Monday. I'll buy a box spanner for when I do the other swivel but I don't want the job to wait half of next week just for want of a £5 box spanner.

I got the nuts off with a pair of grips, but I'm not sure they're good enough for the fine tuning I'll want to do when putting it back together.

Thanks in hope.

IanB

"You would be better off buying your own one if you plan to do regular maintenance, see me link to ebay, they are not as expensive as you might think:

Ebay

Or cheaper option

Box spanner

James"

I think you missed the gist of what he was after.

He knows they are cheap (he even states the £5 cost in the listing) but wants to get on with the job immediately and not have to wait for one to be delivered (even if ordered today it won't be dispatched until Monday and could take several days to arrive) hence his request to borrow one from someone local.

"I got my socket from a local tool suppliers for about £18.52mm deep socket with 1/2" drive.only way to torque it up properly"

Some box-spanners do have a 1/2 inch drive on the end, I bought one years ago which has one but I have never attached it to a torque wrench though.

Some box-spanners do have a 1/2 inch drive on the end, I bought one years ago which has one but I have never attached it to a torque wrench though.

then how did you torque it down 40psi :unsure:

psi is pressure for hydraulic or gaseous systems not torque for bolts/nuts, think you mean lbft or Nm

I've always done hub nuts by feel, though an actual socket would be easier to use with a ratchet than a box spanner and a screwdriver/bar!

Good mod is to weld a bit of plate across the end of the box spanner, then an old socket to it, that way you can use it with those tools.

I've always done hub nuts by feel, though an actual socket would be easier to use with a ratchet than a box spanner and a screwdriver/bar!

Good mod is to weld a bit of plate across the end of the box spanner, then an old socket to it, that way you can use it with those tools.

done that! or rather got a welding co to do it.... Arc welding has never been too good for thin stuff.... the 12 ft/lbs I have just done to "about there" not too slack, not too tight, and torqued up the outer nut with a torque wrench...

"then how did you torque it down 40psi"

Wheel bearings are one of the few things that I have always done by feel on my LR's, started out that way before I owned a torque wrench and still do it. Never had a replacement bearing fail on me either so I must be doing something right.

doh!! meant lbft.brain wasn't working.

yeh i've usually done wheel bearings by feel also.but the last one i did was on my Porsche 928 which you have to torque down to 150lbft.try doing that with your normal halfrauds torqu wrench.i borrowed the one from work which is used to torque the wheelnuts on artics and is 6' long :P