Replacement fuel tank

LowRanger

My 94 200Tdi fuel tank has rusted out from the outside,between the tank and the cradle.I am wondering what replacement tanks people were fitting as I guess that rusted tanks were more of a problem in Britain than over here in Australia.I have found a supplier here who has *ri*part tanks here for a reasonable price,and there is a supplier who can supply an OEM tank at twice the price of the *ri*part one,but cant tell me if it is LandRover brand or not,only OEM,and any for of custom tank will be at least double the price of the OEM tank.I like most try to avoid *ri*part stuff,but wondering if the fuel tank will be OK?

Regards

take care in OZ a lot of tank probs are caused by sand /dust getting between cradle and tank. When you fit new tank use something like sikaflex between tank and cradle to keep out sand etc. HTSH

Yeah,this is exactly what happened to mine.It was rusting from outside in,under the cradle,and I managed to pust the buttom of the cradle up a couple of MM on a large rock which on inspection I found that a piece of grit had been forced through a rusty spot on the bottom of the tank.

I cut off the double skin, with the main aim to loose weight. If you fit a tankguard, the double skin becomes redundant. The problem of it rusting is than also solved.

Daan

Daan

This is what I am in the process of doing now.I won't use the cradle but aftermarket tank guards are very expensive.So I am going to buy some sheet steel and make my own,probably out of 2mm mild steel and will double plate the damage prone areas.I think 3mm plate is too heavy and not needed across the whole tank.

Wayne