Modified Discovery Bumper

Walsho

The reason that i havent made a hole new bumper is for a couple of reasons.Mainly being time and money and the list of other jobs i have to complete before i can get the disco on the road.I also have to weld in a new floor in the load area which i seam to be avoiding because the thinner the metal gets the worse my welding gets.I have decided to get the front looking good and work my way back to the boot floor and crossmember. :)

post-15682-0-85015500-1310906194_thumb.jpg

post-15682-0-36176000-1310906387_thumb.jpg

post-15682-0-42178500-1310906494_thumb.jpg

post-15682-0-91807300-1310924375_thumb.jpgWell here is what i got done today.Not finished grinding it down because i ran out of disks.post-15682-0-95893000-1310924740_thumb.jpgGoing to fit a pipe through the marked circle on the photo for a high lift jacking point.The plan is to use a hole saw to drill out the bumper and weld in a pipe.To finish off i will reinforce the back of the bumper with a couple of plates and bars.. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Nice piece of fab work. I think you will need to reinforce the rear of the bumper ( think you said you were going to do this but I wasn't sure).

Can't tell from the pics if you have a "C" shape or an upside down "L" shape. If the latter then you might want to consider making it a "C" to prevent the bumper getting caught on things. It will then also make it easier to reinforce the back by adding in some gussets ( or simply boxing the whole lot in which has the added benefit of not being a mud trap). If you don't reinforce it I think the first half decent contact will fold those tubes back into your bodywork.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...