Silverstone MT117 Extreme

tuko

I've been looking for a new set of play tires for the hybrid and this time around I would like to move up to a 33" tire. I've been contemplating BFG MT2 (new design) in 255/85's as they stand a bit over 33 at 33.3in but a narrower that the 265's that I have now and that rub on the front shock turret. ( maybe a set of wheel spacers are in my future)

Then today searching around some Swedish sites I found these Silverstone MT117 Extreme tires, in both "33X9.5 16" and "33X10.5 15" sizes and that cost a far less than the BFG's. But looking around it's not easy to find specific information on the tires them selves. 1) I'm unsure if they are bias ply or radial tires, 2) tire actual dimension, ie; heigth/width 3) are these tires remoulds or new manufactured?

I realize that these tires are more common with many people on this forum and therefore I'm looking for your insight. As a play tire I would expect that they will perform admirably, are the tires the same size as on the tin or small or bigger? Sidewall strength, do they cut easily or stand up well?

Before clicking "buy now" I would appreciate any helpful info.

Cheers,

Todd.

no longer made - so beware - old stock abvout - but then thats it :(

Any wonder information is so difficult to come by. :o

But I did find this:

post-194-0-33459800-1311029292_thumb.gif

Thanks for the heads up wish I seen this earlier, just before heading off to work tonight I did click the magic button. :huh:

Todd.

• 2 weeks later...

The new tires came this morning. :D

Checking I saw that the manufacture date on the tires is 04/11, when did they stop making the tires Nige? Must have been recently.

Sizing the tires next to the 265's they are considerable narrower but to my disbelief they are the same height. :huh: This has led me to a new question, particularly to these tires but possibly a general question for tires, how much does a new tire expand after mounted on a rim and inflated?

According to the spec's that I found on the internet these tires should be 27mm (a bit over 1") taller than the 265's. Will these tires expand that much after inflation?

Cheers,

Todd.

The new tires came this morning. :D

Checking I saw that the manufacture date on the tires is 04/11, when did they stop making the tires Nige? Must have been recently.

Sizing the tires next to the 265's they are considerable narrower but to my disbelief they are the same height. :huh: This has led me to a new question, particularly to these tires but possibly a general question for tires, how much does a new tire expand after mounted on a rim and inflated?

According to the spec's that I found on the internet these tires should be 27mm (a bit over 1") taller than the 265's. Will these tires expand that much after inflation?

Cheers,

Todd.

They are under sized (but not as bad as boggers), a 265x75 is what about a 32" tyre so a 33 Silverstone will be very close.

You will most likely not want to run them at high pressure so i don't think they will expand much.

I run the 35x11.5's and i find them to be great, they good on side slopes and they are also soft and flexible when aired down unlike a re-mold.

Only down side is that they can wear quickly and get cut on rocks a bit to easily.

where did you get your tyres from ?

Any one know if they have actually stop production? or have the people who were importing them just decided not to import them any more?

there made in malaysia in the factory next door to simex.

unfortunately the fctory was bought and they felt it was not profitable anymore.

they stopped making them around march 2011 you must have had literally the last set...loads of people still selling them though if you search about. Plus there is still more out there waiting to be shipped i believe

Will thanks for that information. ;)

Is there a tire expert here that can answer me about tire expansion? The new tire not mounted is exactly the same height as my 265's which are on rims and inflated. Will the new tire expand once mounted and inflated and if it does roughly how much can one expect?

Thanks,

Todd.

Is there a tire expert here that can answer me about tire expansion? The new tire not mounted is exactly the same height as my 265's which are on rims and inflated. Will the new tire expand once mounted and inflated and if it does roughly how much can one expect?

Thanks,

Todd.

I don't claim to be an expert on tyres, but I do know that two tyres that are marked as being the same size but are from different manufacturers can differ in actual size by quite a bit, which might account for the discrepancy. As for expansion when inflated, yes, there will be some, but once on the vehicle, the weight will flatten the bottom a bit, cancelling it out at least in terms of height. 'Course, you could always avoid this by putting them on upside-down...

I'll get me coat.

Thanks,

Todd.

Don't think you will get any additional height due to the tyre construction - internal wires etc which are rigid.

I'd say they are just undersize - both undersize and oversize are common - my 33x13.50R15 Mudzillas are smaller than a 33x12.50R15 BFG but the 265/75R16 Insa Turbo Special Tracks I had towered over a 265/75R16 BFG - both wider and higher. This

post-33-0-90978100-1311798220_thumb.jpg

is from L to R a 265/75R16 BFG, the "same size" in the Special Track :rolleyes:, and a 33x12.50R15 BFG.

I run the 35x11.5's and i find them to be great, they good on side slopes and they are also soft and flexible when aired down unlike a re-mold.

where did you get your tyres from ?

Hej Moose,

would you be so kind to measure from the center hub outwards so that we can see what the tires actual circumference is please. If they are under size, then maybe the 35's would be closer to the size that I'm looking for. ???

I bought them here in Sweden: http://www.utyre.se/?sida=produkt&id=3924

Thanks,

Todd.

Don't think you will get any additional height due to the tyre construction - internal wires etc which are rigid.

I'd say they are just undersize - both undersize and oversize are common - my 33x13.50R15 Mudzillas are smaller than a 33x12.50R15 BFG but the 265/75R16 Insa Turbo Special Tracks I had towered over a 265/75R16 BFG - both wider and higher. This

post-33-0-90978100-1311798220_thumb.jpg

is from L to R a 265/75R16 BFG, the "same size" in the Special Track :rolleyes:, and a 33x12.50R15 BFG.

I was thinking that to, but I'm no tire expert so thought that there might be a chance that they would balloon out a bit. :o It's just frustrating when they write on the sidewall the tire size, then print information material on the tire and that information doesn't even come close to anything else. Why the guessing games with these tire manufactures ???

I was hoping that the 33's would stand up next to the 265's like your Special Tracks, not in this garage. :(

Thanks for the pic, it was helpful.

Todd.

Fitted a set of 35/1150 r16 silverstone MT117 last weekend as above 33.5" which is exactly the same height as my 35/1050 r16 Boggers which are the same size as 285/75 r16 Insa Special tracks.

Having said that we have had Insa Special tracks with the same size on the sidewall but different heights when put next to each other, but I guess that is a remould thing.