winch rope

I only use Plasma, did RFC on 1 9mm rope without snapping. This involved cleaning the rope every day and re-spool. Later I changed to 11mm for more durability, but I only snapped it once when it had worn down to halfway.

All the succesfull teams swear by Plasma, so that should tell you something.

Daan

I tried bying 1000ft from Mr Tomlinson a few years back but he offered absolutely no discout so I imported some Amsteel from the Usa. & he missed out on that & subsequent sales & now I wouldn't buy off him.

I use Bowrope now (12mm) & it's really nice to use & the best bit is David is easy to deal with & will 'normally' do a deal.

Will I think bowrope is good too, Dave or Trevor will do you a good deal and advise you on what sizes etc if you ring them, as above mate you don't really "look after" your rope do you when was the last time you gave it a bubble bath and tumble dry? (just put the hook in a couple of socks and tie with a shoelace..:-p

its all down to personal choice at the end of the day.

statements like "All the successful teams swear by Plasma" means nothing as most of the "successful" Teams are in the trade any way so get it at a trade price...

The thing about plasma ropes is that then need to be looked at as a service item that does wear out and needs to be replaced from time to time.

There are a few things that can be done to prolong the life of it

this is what i do :)

Wash it after most outings and after every challenge.

Have co-driver that understands when he is abusing it

I also swap the ends as re-splice the hook so that the drum end get some use.

And i have the same length and diameter rope on the front and the back so i can swap then round.

This also means that i can keep one spare that can go on either the end of the truck.

I use 125ft of 11mm bowrope, I have used almost all brands and apart the from cheap ebay stuff each was very bad, they were much of a muchness but in my mind the bowrope seem to last abit longer...

So i now stick with bowrope as i trust it and know how it behaves and what it looks like when it's about done.

Paul

statements like "All the successful teams swear by Plasma" means nothing as most of the "successful" Teams are in the trade any way so get it at a trade price...

True, but they would get an even better deal from bowrope I imagine. I am the first one to ignore the rest and do my own thing, but have seen too many people breaking perfectly good winchropes, and they were never plasma.

Bearing in mind I use a PTO winch which never stops and I have done some incredibly hard winching with it, without failing the rope, I cant think of anything matching it to be honest.

this is what i do :)

Wash it after most outings and after every challenge.

Have co-driver that understands when he is abusing it

I also swap the ends as re-splice the hook so that the drum end get some use.

And i have the same length and diameter rope on the front and the back so i can swap then round.

This also means that i can keep one spare that can go on either the end of the truck.

I do all of the above

Will when we did howling wolf my rope was Bow rope and think yours was plasma before we went 12mm. they both were about teh same, on the wear and snappage. I must admit watching the RFC and other type events it certainly appears that we work our winches and ropes a lot harder in the UK so 11 mm might be up to the job, ( curently using 11mm and its ok for a lot of applications just not on a hydraulic winch I find)

im going to give that Marlow max stuff a go . 14mm reduces to 12 when used.