Speedometer woes

My speedometer has suddenly started to play up. It was totally fine and accurate until this afternoon, however the needle suddenly started to bounce all over the place, hovering around the 30mph mark when I was actually doing 50mph and the odometer only registered 9 miles when in reality I covered about 15 miles. I am also hearing a ticking sound coming from the back end of the speedo. What do you reckon it may be? The cable or is the head a gonner?

Ok speedometer has been replaced but cable needs to be replaced too. I managed to remove the cable from the old speedometer without any hassle. Just a sharp tug. It clipped nicely into place on the new speedometer with a positve sounding "click" but now it just won't budge. I haven't got enough strength in my fingers to pull it out. How on earth do I get round to removing it?

Hi,

My LHD 110 had a speed limit warning device included in the speedo cable, which means that the speedo cable is in two sections with the join close to the brake servo. Disconnecting the two sections allows the instrument panel to be pulled far enough out to allow use of two small screw drivers to sufficiently pry open the ridged plastic fingers that hold the cable on the speedo head. Hope this helps.

Mike

You can get more slack on the cable by releasing the cable from it's clip in the engine bay, from memory to persuade the cable to release from the back of the speedo you need to use a pair of pliers to squeeze the sides of the white plastic part which will bend the plastic release the clamping part of it.

Caveat it's from memory so may be wrong