Changes in 2 door bodies, year-by-year

twodoorgaz

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me how the 2 door RR body changed over the years.

I have a 72 RR in need of a new body and am hearing all sorts of things that changed such as waist seals, "later windows", exposed hindges, flat floors etc.

I've looked at rangeroverclassic.net and other such sites and have lots of info but not what I was looking for.

Really I just want to know which 2 door bodies are a direct swap (subject to using the early trim, mirrors, interior etc) so that it will appear original.

Many thanks.

I could be wrong as I'm not a total anorak on the subject, but I didn't think any major changes happened in the UK till the four door models came in? A few minor mods to trim along the way, but I'm pretty sure the bodies stayed the same through the first phase till about '84 when the four doors came in (think very early ones had an alloy boot floor though?).

By way of history, a couple of years after the four door models came in, they modified the hinges on the doors/bonnets to conceal them behind the panels, circa 1987?

Later CSK two doors (a UK special edition, about 1990?) are certainly a bit different though (as they have the hidden hinges), but would still go on your chassis if you're not trying to do an acurate restoration- also if you're getting a shell from overseas (2 door models were manufactured throughout for overseas markets) it might be a hidden hinge type depending on year which would need the appropriate bonnet/doors as there are some mods made to the hinge and body panels.

I am building a ute out of a 2 door. The original vehicle was a 76 and I bought a parts vehicle that was a 82. I have found very little differences between the 2. The only differences related to the pedal box panel in the firewall and items related to the lower dash.

Later CSK two doors (a UK special edition, about 1990?) are certainly a bit different though (as they have the hidden hinges), but would still go on your chassis if you're not trying to do an acurate restoration- also if you're getting a shell from overseas (2 door models were manufactured throughout for overseas markets) it might be a hidden hinge type depending on year which would need the appropriate bonnet/doors as there are some mods made to the hinge and body panels.

The CSK doesn't have hidden door hinges, it does have hidden bonnet hinges though.

There were no 2 doors produced by Land Rover with hidden door hinges (that I am aware of). There is a 2 door softdash floating about and a 2 door on a disco 2 chassis.

major changes in body shell that I can think of (in no certain order);

Welded on front wings

Different grill/bonnet slam area

Step changed to slope below rear seats

Rear floor changed from ally to pressed steel

Raised rear filler cap

Different mountings for rear seat catches (probably same time as sloped floor)

Bulkhead changes in conjunction with dash changes

TX tunnel changes in conjunction with Gbox changes

Rear wiper mounting changes

Floors changed from bolted to welded

Probably a lot more I've missed but hope that's a good start.

major changes in body shell that I can think of (in no certain order);

Welded on front wings

Did not happen until 1986. Well after 2 doors were made

Different grill/bonnet slam area

All 2 doors had the vertical grill

Step changed to slope below rear seats

Change when went from 2 door to 4 door

Rear floor changed from ally to pressed steel

Did not happen until late 80's/early 90's

Raised rear filler cap

Late 8-'s 4 door

Different mountings for rear seat catches (probably same time as sloped floor)

Late 80's 4 door

Bulkhead changes in conjunction with dash changes

Only real change was with softdash

TX tunnel changes in conjunction with Gbox changes

Late 80's went went to 5 speed and ZF auto

Rear wiper mounting changes

Original 2 door rear wiper was an option with wiper motor in middle. Later ones had the motor fitted off to one side

Floors changed from bolted to welded

Again happened in 1986 when started to export to US and was a requirement for that market

The exception the the above answers was the limited edition CSK 2 door that was made well after the 2 door was the standard rangie..

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2-door 1985 model. Had the sloped floor and different rear seat catches. Rear windows also different, other catch and sliders. Wide instrument cluster and different wiring with fuses :rolleyes: Besides this I would say that the 85 was very much the same as my other 73 model. Oh, five speed :)

• 3 weeks later...

You need to stick to '76 and earlier.

The things like sloping floor etc are so late they don't even come into it. The things off the top of my head that define a truly early car are:

ALL door/bonnet/upper tailgate hinges exposed.

Low, Aero Style Fuel Filler.

Swing Away Rear Number Plate.

Bonnet Mounted Rear View Mirrors.

External Lower Tail Gate Handle.

All Steel Bumpers.

Straight Rear Window Demisting Lines covering only the top half of the glass.

Raised Plastic 'RANGE ROVER' Badges on bonnet and Lower Tail Gate. (Finding new untouched N's aint easy)

Early rear side glass has stainless (or some silver metal) runners while later two door glass has all black runners/surrounds.

No rubbing strips on any panels.

Rear lenses have the lights stacked in strips, top to bottom: indicator - Reverse - Tail (later lenses had a small square reverse lamp)

Something I've never bothered to get a definitive call on - whether the REALLY early cars (I'm talking '71) did or didn't have the black vinyl/metal trim covers on the C pillars or the naked body coloured panels?

Check this out, it's exactly what your car should look like save for the slightly later exhaust and square eight driving lamps. http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/