Just out of curiosity...

Briarston

Hi all

It's often recommended that a Disco steering box drop arm and drag link be fitted to Defenders to do away with the latters drop arm ball joint.

While at a breakers yard today (not looking for Landy parts!) I saw a Disco with very much the same drag link as fitted to the Defender - forged end with an eye apparently to fit a drop arm ball joint but without the fork part for the steering damper. The steering box had been removed, so I don't know what type it was.

Just wondered if this was an original factory fit, and if others has seen this type on a Disco?

It was aDisco 1,RHD, but no plates so no idea of age.

I have done this conversion to my 90, very pleased with it so far. I used a gwyn lewis HD discovery steering arm and made up a bracket so that my steering damper has stayed in the standard place instead of hanging down behind the axle

My 90 is 1989 with a 4 bolt steering box, the drop arm came from an S reg 300tdi discovery with the same 4 bolt steering box.

Let me know if you want any pictures.

Harry

My first Discovery on a J plate had exactly the set up you describe. Just like the defender but without the bracket for the damper. I had to rebuild the joint a couple of times so was quite pleased to note that all my subsequent Discos have had the TRE type drop arm/draglink combo.

I rebuilt mine using, I think, a Series 3 steering drag link from QT Services (as it needs to be a little longer than a standard Defender one). QT also sell a clamp-on mount for the damper which clamped to the drag link - and never looked back.

Most of the used Defender boxes that turn up have been round the block a few times and are often pre-knackered. Disco ones tent to have been abused less and are newer - so have a much better chance of being OK.

Si

I have done this conversion to my 90, very pleased with it so far. I used a gwyn lewis HD discovery steering arm and made up a bracket so that my steering damper has stayed in the standard place instead of hanging down behind the axle

My 90 is 1989 with a 4 bolt steering box, the drop arm came from an S reg 300tdi discovery with the same 4 bolt steering box.

Let me know if you want any pictures.

Harry

Would be interested in seeing the photos as I'd like to change the damper position on my Disco...

Thanks, H.

My first Discovery on a J plate had exactly the set up you describe. Just like the defender but without the bracket for the damper. I had to rebuild the joint a couple of times so was quite pleased to note that all my subsequent Discos have had the TRE type drop arm/draglink combo.

Thanks for the confirmation. I have seen many Discos but never one with this set up before.

Like the title says, I was just curious!

Would be interested in seeing the photos as I'd like to change the damper position on my Disco...

Thanks, H.

No problem, I shall try and upload some this evening. :D I took the idea from a conversion kit that was on my old disco.

Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Part1cle, I've not been on here for a while.

I don't have any pics of the set-up on the 90, the truck is currently in bits.

The bracket I used was part of a discovery equipe steering damper relocation kit, it was designed to be used with a pin-pin discovery steering damper, I just fitted it the wrong way around and drilled a hole across to take my defender damper.

My link

My link

Harry

You're looking for a RRC or Disco from aboyt 1992 onwards. My '93 RRC had it and all soft dash RRC or 300 series should have it fitted too.

Later steering boxs so equiped also have a 7mm hole behind the output shaft that lines up with a notch in the drop arm when the box is in the straight ahead position, but AFAIK the drop arms are interchangeable.