Disco td 5 Auto gearbox clunking noise.

Kaspaas

I am frustrated to the roof as it has been going on for ever and none of the indies can really fix my problem.

1.)There is two cluncking noises coming from my gearbox at approx 20kph just before i get to a stop. First a loud one and then a not so loud one. It sound if the play comes from the gearbox when down gearing two the last two gears?

2.)Also, the vehicle will go difficuilt into overdrive gear especially when it is cold in the morning. Only after 10km's at 3000rpm it will change to the overdrive gear. Later after a coulpe of kmh's it is normal again.

3.)Lastly, there is a cluncking noise when coasting if I step on the accelarator as if there is some play. They did change the planetry gears and washers on the transfer case but problem still exists.

I have lost hope as everybody claim to find the fault and couple of $$$$ the problem still exhist.

Any pointers or help here, sound like some very clever peolpe here thet can help.

Thanks

Agreed, it sounds like wear somewhere and a sticky box. the TDi boxs last well usualy compared to the V8.

get them to check the props are secure too!

NB, I've read in several places that new oil can flush lots of cack into the governor and ruin an otherwise good box. If you do need to replace the oil it's worth doing it twice in quick succession. The torque convertor cannot be emptied either so you only drain about 5 litres.

The mechanic changed oil yesterday and swopped solenoids around. Told me that this is becoming out of his knowledge base. why did not say that in the beginning. I got the car back late yesterday and now it cannot even pull away, it feels like it is pulling away in 3 gear and huge shudder between gears :angry2:

They left me with this problem.

Will report back once solved.

Interesting comment about the handbrake, this can make some very strange noise if "slightly" on or dragging.

I presume by "overdrive gear" you mean the torque converter locking up at around 50-55 mph. To my knowledge, this is normal .When starting from cold, there is a timer in the ecu that prevents converter lockup occuring. From memory, I think this is about 10 minutes from starting, regardless of driving conditions / speed.