START UP PROBLEMS ON A 200 TDI

I'm currently experiencing some starting probs with the 200. The ignition is fine and the engine turns over, but it dies after a few seconds, only after repeated attempts does it eventually fire up, anyone got any suggestions on what I should be looking to check first

cheers

ed :)

If it starts instantly as normal, then conks out and then takes a good few spins to actually start and stay running, it's usually the lift pump or the fuel line to it. Easy test is clamp the line just before the pump, then leave overnight. In the morning remove the clamp and turn the key. If the engine starts and runs with no problem, then the lift pump valves are shot.

Check the lines back to the tank for signs of any leak.

Les.

lift pump.....

I've just changed the lift pump, which I confirmed was knackered. With the new pump in, there is absolutely no difference in how my tdi starts or runs.

I don't think it is needed at all orther than to give the owner something to change every few years.!!! :P

• 1 month later...
i know landys do some weird things but this is odd :blink:

well wierd :wacko: maybe your lodger spider has been busy rewiring :hysterical: perhap he needs to :rtfm::hysterical:

seriously I can't think of any reason why it should work better with the door open, there is no wiring to the fuel solenoid or starter that travels to the door area.

i know landys do some weird things but this is odd :blink:

Yes very strange - I can sit in that truck and turn it over ten times or more with nothing, open the door and the beast starts first time - must have started it like that for two or three weeks now..

:wacko:

well wierd :wacko: maybe your lodger spider has been busy rewiring :hysterical: perhap he needs to :rtfm::hysterical:

seriously I can't think of any reason why it should work better with the door open, there is no wiring to the fuel solenoid or starter that travels to the door area.

damn those spiders eh?