Snow Chain Advice

eds

Anyone watch Ice Road Truckers? some big rigs running around up there, quite a lot of the time without chains, but when they're needed, they're only on for as long as needed......if you can run rigs as big as that without chains, do you really needed them on a 2-ton landy? I carry a shovel in winter, so I can dig myself out. Lot lighter, lot easier to use, and mutli purpose too!

http://www.snowchains.com/4x4-snow-chains/artik

I used these all round when i entered the Croisiere blanche in 2007, they ran all week on and off road (in some pretty rough conditions) and i still have them.

The cost comes down to the hardness of the material used, these are a great mid range chain.

The above company are excellent and very knowledgable.

Did you use 2 sets? or just put them on one axle, if so which axle?

I noticed the web site also claims them as suitable for mud which to my understanding requires a much tougher chain than snow does, I've not seen that mentioned on other web sites.

The 'Croisiere blanche in 2007' sounds like a good test of their strength, a friend of mine trashed some new cheap ebay snow chains on his car doing a 4 mile journey last year in the snow, so for the artiks to have survived your test makes them sound very good value at less than £150.

Thanks again for your input :)

I'm about to buy thses

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200655393686?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D200655393686%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_7579wt_1396

Snowchains.com sell them alongside the Artik ones

They are only £55.

Any views on purchase, good enough, waste of money?

They look exactly like the Pewag Brenta-C set I have. Either they are and in that case very cheap. Or - they are copies and will probably last for a good while anyway. Mine get very little use, have been used only when offroading and normal snow tires give up.

Did you use 2 sets? or just put them on one axle, if so which axle?

I noticed the web site also claims them as suitable for mud which to my understanding requires a much tougher chain than snow does, I've not seen that mentioned on other web sites.

The 'Croisiere blanche in 2007' sounds like a good test of their strength, a friend of mine trashed some new cheap ebay snow chains on his car doing a 4 mile journey last year in the snow, so for the artiks to have survived your test makes them sound very good value at less than £150.

Thanks again for your input :)

I used 2 sets both axles, yeah they put up with all sorts, the only time i broke a link was when spinning a wheel and hitting a rock, they are made from very tough metal and have welded links (very important).

As for mud i would say no worse than compacted snow.

• 9 years later...