LT230 part-time 4wd

garryc

You know when you're having one of those days. So far I've broken two diff-pins, dropped the transfer case front-housing on my foot and generally swore a lot. But in the last aspect I am probably not alone; particularly when it comes to mucking about with Land Rovers

Right, here goes. I ordered the part-time 4wd conversion from Ashcroft Transmissions. And before I give the wrong impression to anyone, I find Ashcrofts great; good service, nice people, decent kit. So none of this thread relates to them me. It's clearly me.

I have followed all the instructions to the letter. Replaced the bits I am supposed to replace and put everything in where it seems it should go. That means I have removed the planet gears, fitted the replacement rear sun gear, fitted the new "locking" collar which locks into the rear sun gear and pressed the new front output shaft support into place where originally the front sun gear would have gone. So far so good. But when I come to refit the front housing and torque the bolts up, the whole box locks up. And the diff-pin pings. If I fit the housing loosely everything turns freely; it's when I tighten it up past hand-tight, that's when the problem occurs.

I have stripped it down and checked it five times now. And that's no exaggeration. The thing I am looking for is incorrect shim clearances or something like that. An error that causes the front bearing to compress against the front housing and so "lock" the shaft and apply excess pressure through the shaft down onto the diff-collar itself. But I cannot see where I have gone wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Mostly done in series with gearbox swap due to perception of front axle issues.

Probably as likely to find someone here who's done it as defender or range rover or disco for that matter.

I've considered it for mine. This permanent 4x4 thing just isn't as much fun on roundabouts!

Mostly done in series with gearbox swap due to perception of front axle issues.

Probably as likely to find someone here who's done it as defender or range rover or disco for that matter.

I've considered it for mine. This permanent 4x4 thing just isn't as much fun on roundabouts!

You are right, sorry. Sometimes I think there should be child boards for the different engines and gearboxes!

G.