no revs

defender dinky

hi all, 200tdi 1987 defender 90, it runs for 10minutes and then l lose all power abit of blue smoke had rac out and he the power steering pump had gone surely this would not affect the fuel supply, defender dinky

need help with this one, what happened, driving along all of sudden no power,no rev's abit of blue smoke, having to change down very quickley to first gear and still struggling for power and rev's, then stalled but started straight away, crawled three miles to golf club, in first gear ( i had to play golf or get banned) wife came out to meet RAC man, he drove it round car park a few minutes, he said it was pas pump failed, i can't see how pas pump would cause this problem, changed pas pump, on revving the engine full revs when idle on off on off, getting blue smoke at bursts, any ideas all help welcome, cheer's defender dinky

Sure he said steering pump and not lift pump?

I'd change the fuel filter first, then the lift pump - make sure the fuel system is bled through properly - have you run out of fuel recently??

thanks for your reply eightpot, but i think it's sorted now, after looking through old posts i tried a few things, it seemed to be that little black pipe which comes off the injector pump and to the turbo it had melted to the manifold causing a hole, for now i just put some tape on it and evrything seems fine, so now i'm like a dog with two d**ks and a street full of lamp posts, hopefully cured, ;):D:hysterical:

everything seems fine at the moment Cwazywabbit, i was just assuming that was the problem, time will tell. dd

hi all, back to square one, rac out again , seems the pressure is building up in the fuel tank, looked at diaphram in the injector pump no tears or cracks, could it be just weak, or does the problem lye elsewhere, cleaned fuel cap check breather pipe on tank all clear, phone my supplier this morning can't get a diaphram don't do them he said can't get them so where do you get the diaphram from then, dd

So the RAC think lack of fueling is down to a power steering pump and a pressurised fuel tank?

So presumably it all runs ok if the fuel cap is off then? :glare:

If you're struggling to get revs and it's not kicking out tons of black smoke then you're not getting fuel in - could be blockage in fuel pipe, sedimentor full of carp, dirty fuel filter or knackered lift pump.

So the RAC think lack of fueling is down to a power steering pump and a pressurised fuel tank?

So presumably it all runs ok if the fuel cap is off then? :glare:

If you're struggling to get revs and it's not kicking out tons of black smoke then you're not getting fuel in - could be blockage in fuel pipe, sedimentor full of carp, dirty fuel filter or knackered lift pump.

yes truck runs fine when i removed fuel cap, rac took pipes off filter tub and said everythings fine in that department, took the pipe off the fuel lift pump and fuel was trickling out, so he put is air line on the pipe and blowed the fuel back to the tank, remove air line and fuel gushed out , and asked me to remove fuel cap and it blowed off out of my hand and he said that's the problem tank pressuring dd

yes truck runs fine when i removed fuel cap, rac took pipes off filter tub and said everythings fine in that department, took the pipe off the fuel lift pump and fuel was trickling out, so he put is air line on the pipe and blowed the fuel back to the tank, remove air line and fuel gushed out , and asked me to remove fuel cap and it blowed off out of my hand and he said that's the problem tank pressuring dd

The filler cap has a valve in it (I guess to stop fuel leaking out), surely normally a tank experiences negative pressure due to you using fuel creating a vacuum. Would connecting a compressor to the fuel line not just shut the valve and pressurise the tank? That not being a fault but correct operation?

EDIT: Do you get the same woosh when you open the tank after you get this problem(without an RAC man)? If so you may have a hole in your boost diaphragm allowing air to pressurise your tank.

Edited by CwazyWabbit

Eightpot hit on the answer a while ago i think. Change the lift pump.

What CwazyWabbit suggests is also worth doing - take the cap apart and check its breather is free - there should be a ball bearing mechanism in the cap IIRC.

I had this with my old TD engine and doing both of the above solved it.

I was trying to hint that the test the RAC bloke did with the compressor didn't mean anything. I think the breather is meant to stop a vacuum in the tank, not stop positive pressure. Otherwise there would be no need of a valve surely? and without a valve fuel would leak out when going round corners or rolling over. If you are getting positive pressure in the tank it has to be coming from somewhere....

Sorry. I'm a plank today! I'm getting my diaphragms mixed up. The TD was a split boost diaphragm which caused the tank to pressurise, but DD has already said that he has checked that for tears. You are right CwazyWabbit, the breather in the cap should allow air into the tank, otherwise fuel is sucked out and a vaccum forms. So, still worth checking the breather is not jammed up.

Sorry. I'm a plank today! I'm getting my diaphragms mixed up. The TD was a split boost diaphragm which caused the tank to pressurise, but DD has already said that he has checked that for tears. You are right CwazyWabbit, the breather in the cap should allow air into the tank, otherwise fuel is sucked out and a vaccum forms. So, still worth checking the breather is not jammed up.

hi all,what i have done, took fuel cap off again, dismantled it and saw the ballbearing you mentioned which i thought had freed up , i tried to push the bearing down with a peice of wire,on doing so noticed it when up and down which didn't happen before :blush: put it back together been for a spin twenty minutes or so, removed fuel cap and no woosh or even a hiss, so fingers crossed all solved, :i-m_so_happy: ho and thanks for all your replies, defender dinky