Steering thingy check

Morning,

After a part check:

IMG_2881bLarge.jpg

The bush / rubber gaiter thing in the middle of the picture has perished and will need replacing before MOT time... I havent had much luck in figuring what part it is... Does anyone have a part number or name of the top of their head?

Vehicle Details: 1985 Military 90 with 2" lift and big wheels.

As can be seen from the pic, the geometry seems to be a little wonky. This part was replaced by the previous owner a year ago so something must be wrong for it to go in such a short amount of time.

Im guessing it could be due to the suspension lift or bigger wheels. The damper always seems to force that joint backwards, or the arm holding the bush is at the wrong angle... anyone had this problem before or know of a fix / better part

You mean the track rod end / drop arm ball joint? If the PO replaced it with a cheap part then that could explain it. I try to avoid saving money on critical things like steering!

As for the angle it's at, if it can wobble in its socket then that's very bad news and needs fixing. If it's just that the bar tends to sit at an angle then don't worry, it's a ball-and-socket joint and is designed for precisely this purpose.

You can replace the drop arm it bolts to with a Discovery one I think, which makes maintenance easier, quite a few threads round here on the subject.

Edit: piccy!

derf_steering.jpg

first off the gaiter is part of the drop arm ball joint kit.just replaced mine with a kit off ebay for about £7.you might as well change it while your at it.

the steering arm just needs the locknut undoing and turning back a tad so it sits right.

i'm running a 2" lift and 35" tyres on my 110 and i have no probs

I don't think the rubber gaiter is an MOT failure, if there is excessive play in the ball and socket joint then you'll fail and of course the damaged gaiter will accelerate that. Mine passed it's MOT with a very obvious split (but no play), the MOT guy definitely saw it as I watched the whole test and saw him give it a good look.

I don't think the rubber gaiter is an MOT failure

I beleive there are changes afoot that mean it will be sometime soon. Mines been like that for some time (years), but had no play till recently (got a new one to fit at the weekend). As you say, best to change it though.

I beleive there are changes afoot that mean it will be sometime soon. Mines been like that for some time (years), but had no play till recently (got a new one to fit at the weekend). As you say, best to change it though.

I didn't know about proposed changes, cheers for the heads up :)

Awesome, thanks for the responses :)

When you say play... I can yank on the steering damper and force the joint forwards so it sits correctly. I assume being able to move it around like that is ok? Do you mean play in the sense of small movement between the joints like when a wheel/prop bearing goes etc??

Awesome, thanks for the responses :)

When you say play... I can yank on the steering damper and force the joint forwards so it sits correctly. I assume being able to move it around like that is ok? Do you mean play in the sense of small movement between the joints like when a wheel/prop bearing goes etc??

the pin must be able to move, but excess play as in wheel bearings is not a good thing.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...