defender cruise control

nino

I have an 03 Plate Defender. The Cruise control works fine in all gears. Even in low range - when the speed is high enough.

The only difference from standard is a Bell re-map - which I guess could change some of the parameters?

Si

Can dig out details if required, but away from home at present and only armed with a phone.

Google motorbike speedo correction.

Might be a little device someone real clever like Mr Wabbit could knock up without variable settings for a lot less than I paid.

I use Cruise Control every day and on long journeys like popping to the Alps it's almost essential in my view.

I used the very helpful ratio calculator on the Ashcroft site to total up the overall change with taller tyres and Over Drive and adjusted the pulses down by the same percentage.

The Speedo feeds the ECU so fitting after the speedo means the input from the transfer box transducer isn't affected and therefore doesn't change the speedo reading.

i think you're talking about the speedo-healer....

these guys make it

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Si,

I notice you say you don't have a 1.2 ratio transfer box.

The 1.2 ratio or an overdrive is what introduces the problem, but only in 5th gear.

The pulses go out of the ECU expected range.

With Overdrive engaged but no Speedo Healer it won't engage overdrive in 5th but works in 4th and all manner of other situations over 30 MPH.

The speedo healer just brings the pulses within parameters again.

Neil

• 8 months later...

Thanks to V8Freak, I've got Cruise working in 5th gear today on an NNW model ECU 04 Plate with a 1.2x overdrive. I got the extra ECU connectors from Landover_Connectors on eBay, which got me cruise working in 2nd to 4th, then the Heal-Tech SHV4-UO1 from Bikers Discount store with the AB option to decrease the pulse count. The configuration % needs to be -20%.

I wonder how the Cruise Control copes with an Auto box? Due to the torque converter, engine RPM bears little constant relation to speed in a given gear. That makes me think that there must be something in the Disco fuel maps which disables this relationship in the Cruise algorithm.

Si

I suppose the question to understand is can Cruise be used in anything other than top gear in an auto?

(Does resuming run up through the gears if required?)

If yes, then it's likely the parameters would be different and not linked to RPM as we assume them nanual variant is...

Interesting....

• Like 1