defender cruise control

nino

• 2 weeks later...

As far as i can remember you cant, the Engine Control Unit reads the transfer box speed to register a speed. if this doesnt match engine speed and factory setup it switches off. i have cruise on mine and i love it, i use a 200tdi disco window switch to operate it. a recommended fit for long journeys, easy to wire up too!

• 2 weeks later...

According to AULRO, you can't use the cruise control in 5th gear. It will work in 4th.

The reason is, that the pulse / sec being generated from the t-box transducer doesn't match the range of pulses for the given road speed.

That being said, i've seen a box made by some company that will intercept the incoming pulse and then cheat the ECU by multiplying the pulse so that it appears correct and hence allow the cruise control to engage. doesn't sound cheap.

Why would anybody buy a defender and expect cruise control ? or try to fit it ?

I might get stick for this but I dont think thats what a defender is about at all. I am very happy with my 110 td5, it is a road going tractor for me, that I happen to be very found of.

I hope its left the way it is and has been for the last 50 years or more.

Discovery or a Range rover though are fine cars and I hope to own a Disco next year to replace the familly car. (NOT MY DEFENDER)

I might get stick for this but I dont think thats what a defender is about at all. I am very happy with my 110 td5, it is a road going tractor for me, that I happen to be very found of.

Discovery or a Range rover though are fine cars and I hope to own a Disco next year to replace the familly car. (NOT MY DEFENDER)

The Defender TD5 ECU has Cruise Control function on it as standard, it's a fairly simple job to add it, if you are using your defender for overlanding or just travelling to places that are not close to home, it's fairly useful if you have to sit on the Motorway/auto-route for hours at a time.

I think Defenders are about lots of things for lots of people, road tractor, overland vehicle, tow vehicle etc, etc therefore with as many uses as configurations and modifications, CC is just one of these alterations.

Jason.

If you can only use cruise control in 4th gear, does this not make the cruising speed slower at higher revs, than if you just used 5th gear without cruise control?

If I was cruising on the motorway at 70 mph I would prefer to be in 5th rather than 4th!

I Think that's the point of the original post, with as standard defender set up CC works in 5th however with a Disco TF box the sensors don't match so you cant use it in 5th........

Try driving to Spain and Tom-Tom tells you the next turning is 220km away

(and I know a Disco or RR is "better" for that sort of journey - I just don't want one)

Brian

I've had Cruise control on my Td5 for a couple of years now.

It makes no difference what transfer box you have.

It works in every gear.

It only functions above 30mph, including in low range.

You just need to add a few pins to one of the ECU connectors and wire them up to a switch and ignition live.

And it works fantastically!

schaltplan.gif

On mine, there was no live on Pin 15 as shown - but any old ignition live will do though.

The connectors are made by Tyco.

Si

Si

The proper gold plated terminals to fit the AMP Econoseal 36-way connector, are available from Polevolt -

http://www.polevolt...._3_4590_10.html

3-4590-400.jpg

Ref: 3-4590/10

Econoseal connectors female terminals Gold Plated. 10 Pack

Spare terminals for the 36 way ECU connector and also used in the Tyco Sealed Sensor Connector (SSC) system.

Supplied in multiples of 10.

Price per 10: £2.50 (£3.00 Including VAT at 20%)

You'll also need wire seals -

http://www.polevolt....r_Housings.html

3-4787-1-195.jpg

Ref: 3-4787-1/10

Econoseal connectors wire seal 0.5-1.25mm. Green. 10 pack

Price per 10: (4 or fewer items) £0.90 (£1.08 Including VAT at 20%)

Price per 10: (5 or more items) £0.81 (£0.97 Including VAT at 20%)

3-4787-2-195.jpg

Ref: 3-4787-2/10

Econoseal connectors wire seal 1.5-2.0mm. Yellow. 10 pack

Price per 10: (4 or fewer items) £0.82 (£0.98 Including VAT at 20%)

Price per 10: (5 or more items) £0.74 (£0.89 Including VAT at 20%)

I've had Cruise control on my Td5 for a couple of years now.

It makes no difference what transfer box you have.

It works in every gear.

It only functions above 30mph, including in low range.

You just need to add a few pins to one of the ECU connectors and wire them up to a switch and ignition live.

And it works fantastically!

schaltplan.gif

On mine, there was no live on Pin 15 as shown - but any old ignition live will do though.

Si

I have heard lots of reports that after fitting a 1.2 tbox the cc wont work in 5th, what box have you got simon, just out of interest :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ahhh - thank you for replying.

The net seems full of people though who say the cruise control only works in 4th when a 1.2 transfer box is fitted - as the ECU disables it thinking the engine speed and road speed don't match being in the right gear.

I've recently got a Nanocom and there is a wheel size correction setting in there - so I wondered about altering that so the ECU thinks its still running a Defender box.

I think the speedo takes its signal from the gearbox and not the ECU - so the question might be: what does the ECU use the speed info for ? I guess on a discovery it may be SLABS... so there may be no implications on a basic defender with no ABS or TC or the like.

It was me...

Without fooling the ECU by changing the frequency of pulses it receives Cruise Control didn't work in 5th.

The expected speed (from speedo feed) is out of the parameters the ECU expects and CC won't engage.

I bought a little device that is designed to correct motorbike speedo's when they change the final gearing. You can set the percentage you want the pulses to drop or increase by. Wire it into the speedo feed (Pin 13 from memory) give it some key controlled power, set it once, close the panel up and forget it...

Worked a dream since installed.

Can dig out details if required, but away from home at present and only armed with a phone.

Google motorbike speedo correction.

Might be a little device someone real clever like Mr Wabbit could knock up without variable settings for a lot less than I paid.

I use Cruise Control every day and on long journeys like popping to the Alps it's almost essential in my view.

I used the very helpful ratio calculator on the Ashcroft site to total up the overall change with taller tyres and Over Drive and adjusted the pulses down by the same percentage.

The Speedo feeds the ECU so fitting after the speedo means the input from the transfer box transducer isn't affected and therefore doesn't change the speedo reading.