Salisbury axle

oddballrovers

Hi Folks

Being in the proces off materialise a wapour build I have some thoughts about changing the ratio in a 110" rear sal from 3,54 to 4,7 using components from a series sal.

Quiestion is then is it duable and if is there anything that I have to look for, in the same go I will fit some sort of locker.

It is possible, but the question is why? It is about 1" less clearance, about 30KG more, less available upgrading shafts, more expensive lockers.

Reliability wise, you can get a rover axle reliable up to 35" tyres so unless you go above that there is no advantage as far as I can see.

Daan

Hi

Thanks for the replys.

The reason why is, because I am using a LT95 from a 101" which with 3.54 gives me way to high a top speed, and as far as I know the std shafts in sal's are as strong as many upgrade ones (correct me if I am wrong) both axles are on the shelf free to use!

the locker I can get at the same price as a rover one, weight wise I can not do much clearense wise 1" shaving should be posible or close to and I am not that woried about that. And the pto driven winch will pull us through with no problem.

Tyre will be 34"-35"

And least but not last for the front axle, 4,75 reversecut cryo and al that and with ARB, is on the shelf free to use.

Hope it makes sense, we are building cheap and with as much reliablity as possible for the money and work invested, in an attempt to finish :i-m_so_happy: not win

Of course it's all doable and recommended for reliabilty. Sure you can build a reasonably reliable Rover diff, but Ashcrofts have stated that they don't accept arms, legs, kidneys, blood or semen as payment, so you would otherwise have to fork out lots of wonga just to gain a little extra clearance over what a shaved Sals will give you.

Bill.

Look back at what Andy (redibex / moglite) did, he posted up the full info on shaving salisbury axles, rebuilding with 4.7's etc. and it seemed to work well for a lot less wonga than all the extreme stuff. Not without its challenges as I recall, but doable and practical.

Look back at what Andy (redibex / moglite) did, he posted up the full info on shaving salisbury axles, rebuilding with 4.7's etc. and it seemed to work well for a lot less wonga than all the extreme stuff. Not without its challenges as I recall, but doable and practical.

Ah that is where I did see it! I did remember having seen it somewhere, but now I can not find it again can someone plese help me find it, I am not that friendly with the search facility on here :unsure: sorry.......

If you haven't purchased the locker yet then get one with the correct 4.7 offset so that there is no surgery involved. just swap crownwheel and pinions over, adjust pinion height and backlash and you're away.Spacer is only required if you are fitting a 4.7 crownwheel to a 3.54 carrier.

Bill.

Thanx Bill will do so. :i-m_so_happy:

I swapped the whole gubbins out of a series 109 rear axle into a 110 rear axle a few years ago, I even made my own spreader bars to aid moving the bearings to get somewhere near the right back lash.

I think? the only complication was setting the pinion height as They are set by a collapsable spacer? on salisbury axles.

Worked fine for a short while before I changed to rover axles and arb initially kam 4.7 then std 3.54 and underdrive.

I have a 4.7:1 Salisbury axle on the back of my 90. It was a 3.54 but I swapped it over because I got a pair of axles for £1 rear being 4.7:1 Salisbury and the front std 10 spline 4.7 weak weak Yuk!

I have a detroit fitted and it was cheaper than a new rover one and strong out the box.

I have purchased a Ashcroft R+P on ebay which was going on my trialler half fitted to a P38 4 pin center but It may end up on my 90. Looking to get ashcroft front shafts and a decent center. For now I have a 10 spline lockright to go in the front which could prove nasty on the road and may well need to be pulled out pretty quickly.

We did a winch/challenge mini comp not very serious on mitchelin XL 37 inch tyres big but not the best pattern. Currently running above tyres and Std series III 4.7 10 spline (Black carrier stronger than the red carriers slightly) and stock shafts. I figured I'd give it some stick and we didn't break owt but just waiting for the front to ping. We did ok considering we left early and didn't have my winch working (Spyderman winched me when needed) nor took it too seriously.

Spyderman got some pics:

img6059k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img6067e.jpg

img5977h.jpg

img6126n.jpg

Sorry Gearing is Er LT77 LT230 1.002:1 Early RR 3 speed auto transfer box and 4.7 diffs. 36.5/37 inch measured size not the usual undersize tyres you get usually.Gearing is actually now useable low range is far better. Decending chaplegate a few years back on 3.54 diffs it was horrendus to drive down feet off squeezing the brake as and when because I felt it was far too fast. Now its Perrrrfect! When I trialled on std 750 size tyres for the nationals we were climbing steepish loose sand hills we were using 3rd gear low and techy bits were great and 1st was seriously seriously low.