Eberspacher metering pump

pete3000

I posted a wanted a while back as my pump had stopped ticking, well I missed a few on the bay and didn't fancy the idea of £80-£150 for a new one. Being as the old one didn't work I thought I'd strip it. The coil was reading 180k ohms (open circuit or as good as), shold be 35 ohms

So with a selection of spanners I started, stripped the two ends first,

post-9088-0-52721400-1319871880_thumb.jpg

17mm and 12mm on ally end recovering the fuel strainer.

Then the other end 8mm recovering the washer spring and ball bearing (ball bearing in first)

post-9088-0-32730100-1319871906_thumb.jpg

Couldn't see any more loose bits, so I noticed the case is rolled closed, holding it in the vise I started tapping the edge back gently with a centre punch and hammer

post-9088-0-70227900-1319871895_thumb.jpg

which you can see in this shot.

The whole lot looks like this when apart

post-9088-0-08984500-1319871857_thumb.jpg

The most difficult bit is removing the coil which is pressed in loosely. I used a piece of wood and pushed the terminals in the vise again against the flared out pump body, wiggling the coil centre with a brass drift. be careful as it's plastic.post-9088-0-84397800-1319871916_thumb.jpg

Once it was out and the rubber shield was off I could see the copper wire had disintergrated by the terminals, green and salty mmmm nice. I unwound a turn from the post and resoldered, cleaning the flux off.

post-9088-0-70020500-1319871925_thumb.jpg

measured 33-35 ohms now, nice.

squeezed the top in the vise again to push the coil in and bits from inside, top into the body tapped the case all round until closed, put fitting back on.

returned it to the van, and it works, no leaks and cheaper than £100+

nope it's just an expensive solenoid, 12v or 24v coil.

btw, just noticed from my 1st pic the greeny metal cap doesn't come out until you have uncrimped the body as per pic 3. as its held in under compression, and loosely push fitted into the coil. I only remembered to take photos once it was apart, otherwise it would have been a pointless post.

pete