Trailer number plates

v8bertha

after running about for a bit with paper number plates or dads plate i went and bought one from local motorfactors £8

on the trailers weve devised a hook on either side so that the unmberplate slides into it and cant fall out.

numberplate always stays in the cabs, it dont take 1 minute to pop it in to any of our trailers.

none of our tractor trailers have working lights, dont legally need them and they just get smashed by rough farmers.

Also you can buy 'legal' plates on evil bay without producing docs.

not technically legal, read the small print and they normally say for off road use only - that's how they get round the document laws. same as the little huts that appear at car shows - they class them as show plate, not for road use - it's then upto the owner if they risk using them on the road.

My point was say they bring in the check at mot how is the garage to know whether the car has an original plate or a showplate if the car was built before the bs number came in

most mot testers/mechanics can spot a newly made number plate, especially as the changes were made circa 10 years ago, any old plates will be showing signs of ageing by now from uv exposure and weathering to the plastics.

that is correct. the dvla require number plate suppliers to keep the details of all plates made for 3 years. we always ask for driving licence of the person collecting the plates (or passport/bank card/credit card) and the v5c for the vehicle so we can keep a record of the serial numbers for traceability. avoid halfords for plates, they are charging anything from £18 upwards at the moment (depending on style, plain, border, gb logo all add extra) whereas we charge £12 regardless of style or shape. (cheaper for trade or people the staff know :) )

No disrepect intended, you're just operating within the law, but frankly to avoid this freakin' farce, just in order to buy a number plate for a trailer (or indeed to replace a damaged one on a car), I go onto the Bay of Flea and order them online. No documentation required, and they're about £8 each. Sold as show-plates, naturally.

But, as Landies are built for towing, I keep (or kept, before the rebuild) a trailer-board, HD-cableties, number plate, rope and an electrics extension cable permanently on board the truck. And I plan to make dedicated storage brackets in the rear load space for the above once the truck is back on the road. A bit OTT? Maybe. But whilst it would appear that even the constabulary themselves aren't averse to a hand-written numberplate, running without working lights on a trailer will get you booked. And at this time of year quite rightly, IMHO.

No disrepect intended, you're just operating within the law

why? we are following the DVLA guideline issued to registered suppliers. we even had an audit last week by the DVLA and were praised for the level of records that we keep (both photocopy and electronic.

why? we are following the DVLA guideline issued to registered suppliers. we even had an audit last week by the DVLA and were praised for the level of records that we keep (both photocopy and electronic.

Because I was going to have a rant (this is an internet forum after all) – and didn’t want you to think that my rant was directed at thee, rather at the edjiots who devised this unnecessary piece of bureaucracy for retailers.

But well done on passing the audit with flying colours! :D