Glow Plug

Frax

Well I thought things were going too well, fitted a TD5 dash to my 300tdi 1995 dash a while back and tried to test most things as I went but must have missed the glow plug.

Well rebuild is still going but I am at stage that I can start the engine as all fluids have been replaced.

Put some fuel in today and turned it over but noticed that the glow plug dash light did not come on, :blink: checked for voltage at the glow plugs but nothing there. :wacko:

Do you think I have knocked a wire off somewhere? Timer relay or something.

Will have a good check in the morning – any idea what fuse it is on a 1995.

Any thoughts. :glare:

Regards

Frax

The glow plug fuse is one of those "big ones" in the auxillary fuse box next to the heater matrix on the engine side of the bulkhead. IIRC it is 60A. Can't remember which fuse it is - and its now dark and pi&&ing down, so not going to have look!

Thanks for that and I don't blame you for not wanting to get soaked, sure I will find it as there are only a few fuses in that box and cant be many 60a.

Would that stop the dash light from working as well.

I bought the loom for a 300tdi but not sure if it was a newer 300tdi as the fuel level indicator wiring was at the back and my one is under the drivers seat.

As far as I know all wires are connected and I never had to modify any of it. I did however shorten the loom and refitted the proper plugs.

The glow plug warning light is apparently fed from fuse number 17 on the 300tdi, have you checked that?

Although I can't see that fuse on the diagram, just in the description :blink:

It is on the diagram, I'm just going blind ....

Edited by CwazyWabbit

Checked fuse 17 and it was OK, Will have a ears through rav and see what I can find. Is the timer relay behind ethe dash ? Will have to give it a good look over in the morning and see what I can find, relay will be my first check if I find it.

RAVE is really good for this sort of thing. Find the description and operation section for the 300Tdi glow plug system and it will tell you exactly what happens when, which will allow you to get out the multimeter and get testing wires!

is if by magic -- it appears

post-20-0-58936900-1320432439_thumb.jpg

Found the problem, don’t know if you can see it from the picture but the white wire on the relay base has come loose from the connector block. :( When the connector block is pushed up the terminal just pushes down and does not make contact. Was able to get it back in and just to make sure it does not drop again I put some super glue on the back of the connector.

The loom to the connector block is really tight so not much play.

Well next I checked that I had glow plug indication on the dash :) and 12v at the glow plugs. :)

IMAG0132.jpg

Thank you for all your help now to see if it starts – back out and back to it.

Regards

Frax

• 4 months later...