Trying to decide which is easier to do. Yesterday my old transfer box/overdrive and R380 for my 110 V8 arrived on a pallet. I really only need the overdrive, but the transfer box that is on the vehicle has more oil leaks than the exon Valdez and the gearbox is a wee bit bad tempered at times. Short term the idea was just to stick the overdrive/transfer box in and do the rest next year, but I am considering just swapping the whole lot.

So my question is which will be easier, given that I have to do this on my tod!

Lot depends on how you intend to do it and what facilities you have.

I have done several gearboxes on my back in the drive way and I always split the transfer box and gearbox and take them out seperatly due to the weight and lifting them out by hand.

If you have a ramp and a gearbox jack then doing it all in one is easier.

Also by the time you have the transfer box out going a bit further and dropping the gearbox is not that much extra work.

Changed the gearbox and transfer box as one unit earlier this year.(Whilst snowing)

On me own, on tarmac drive, without an engine lift or trans jack, just used 3 ratchet straps and 1 recovery strap wrapped through roll cage.

Certainly built character though.

Can't you wait till its snowing, then attempt it all in one with boxing gloves on and tape it please? ;)

can you put some plywood/old worktop (with castor guides!) underneath to roll the jack on? getting the whole lump up in roughly in to place is doable with plenty of straps and much more obscenities however make sure you can slide the assembly in/out under the chassis rails.

Will.