diff went bang now drivetrain noise.

Deface

hi everyone im in need of some help regaurding my 1992 200tdi 90, not long ago i went to a pay and play site and broke my rear diff, to get me home (about 10 miles) i put it in difflock and drove it home. On the way home there was alot of loud noises and sudden jolts, when i arrived home i looked at the rear axle to find a rather large hole in the diff pan.

I removed the axle had a new diff pan welded on and sourced a second hand diff, put it all back together this afternoon and went to test drive it. Now when im slowing down under engine braking there is a very loud groaning noise and when in reverse it jolts a bit and groans.

First of all i road tested it with the diff lock on untill i realised and disengaged it, before i did this it wasnt as bad but now is sounds like imminent failure.

Ive checked:

The second hand rear diff has small play in pinion bearing.

No play in front diff pinion bearing.

No play in either output transfer box flanges.

Small amount of play in front UJs

Didnt get very far with the diagnosis as i was a bit disheartned and its now getting dark.

what do people think it could be gearbox? transfer box? either diff?

all help welcome.

cheers

ethan

If its the pinion bearing on the diff, the noise should be less yes, as there will be no load from the prop shaft going into it.

I've just replaced my rear axle as is was making a rather loud grumbling noise when de-clutchuing and engine breaking, new axle and diff sorted it out.

(sorry for some reason it would not let me edit it)

I took the rear prop off today and road tested it and the noise when engine breaking went but a large groaning noise is now present when increasing and decreasing road speed along with a voilent vibration could this still be the rear diff as its still spinning??

hmm could be... only if there is a lot of play in the pinion bearing... something sounds very unballanced - have you check the front UJ's for play/seizing just out of interest? Have you checked the rear transfer box output for play?.. with the prop off, get the wheels chocked, take handbrake off and out of gear and have a good old swing off the transfer box rear "drive flange" its quite hard to do as the handbrake drum makes it heavy so you might have to remove the drum to allow you to "feel" the flange bearings properly. I'm not sure I quite inderstand what groaning is, as I hear/understand groaning is more a "door" groans, Mehcanical machinery can't groan par say, it more whines or grumbles.. whatever the noise is it sounds like a bearing is on its way out somewhere... its either the "new" diff thats gone or you've damged transfer box possible driving it in difflock for sometime without rear drive... but thats about reached my guestimation of the problem i'm afraid... Ooo after a run, something must be getting hot if its a bearing, get inder it and start feeling for heat spots on the transfer box/diff etc etc... might give you an indication of whats makeing the noise, a 5-10 min run is usually enough for the drivetrain on my truck to warm up, if anything is wrong you can tell as it really does get warmer then everything else...

Yeh there is definately alot of play in the rear pinion bearing.

no seizing of the front ujs but they have some play.

no play in either transfer flanges that i can tell at the moment.

By groaning i mean a grumble/whine like a normal bearing noise.

I driven it about 20 miles in total with difflock in could that of done damage?

Also something in my front axle went pop whilst road testing today and now i have no drive :( i think its the diff or halfshaft. My suspicions of the transfer still remain though but i will have to get two good diffs fitted before i can rule it out.

all this just before winter :( not happy

cheers

ethan

How do you check the diffs?

I have a slipping/clunky rattle esp when reversing and most noticable at low speeds. It feels like it could be a UJ, but as far as I can see there is very little play in prop. Last time I took the rear prop off the handbrake drum had a huge amount of play and the mounting scew was loose. I will need to look at it again and while I am at it check diffs and transfer shaft - I am just not sure how to do either! ?

Yeh there is definately alot of play in the rear pinion bearing.

no seizing of the front ujs but they have some play.

no play in either transfer flanges that i can tell at the moment.

By groaning i mean a grumble/whine like a normal bearing noise.

I driven it about 20 miles in total with difflock in could that of done damage?

Also something in my front axle went pop whilst road testing today and now i have no drive :( i think its the diff or halfshaft. My suspicions of the transfer still remain though but i will have to get two good diffs fitted before i can rule it out.

all this just before winter :( not happy

cheers

ethan

Driving in diff lock won't cause a problem to the transfer box if you only have one prop shaft on, it'll cause a problem with transmission wind up if the rest of the system is working properly with both propshafts etc.

Now you have blown your front axle in some way you could just stick the rear prop back on and carry on driving in diff lock and put up with the noise... and keep your fingers crossed that the pinion bearing doesn't go in your rear diff. Obviously this would be a temporary thing till you sort out your front axle :)

You shouldn't have any play in your pinion. the diff is most likely responsible for the grumbling, i would suggest binning it and getting a decent one! It's also possible you've broken a shaft or cv in the front, if you had a worn/abused one then the extra loadings caused by being in two wheel drive could have been too much for it.

Steve

Yeh ive popped the o/s/f shaft im replacing the diff now aswell as its not in the best condition. Im just worried about the transfer box now but i cant tell if ive broken that until ive got two good diffs.

Only time will tell as they say.

thanks

ethan