tyre recommendations; V8 Disco 1

task

So, the tyres on my disco are nearing the end of their useful life. Had them for just over 2 years and they've covered around 30k miles.

they're Pirelli Scorpion STR's.

I'm wondering what to replace them with, 2 years ago this was my only car and had to cover all bases from greenlanes to 1000's of motorway miles and the daily commute.

My circumstances have changed somewhat, I have the series 3 for local green lanes and the CSK for summer tarmac use. I also now work from home.

This all means I can fit something a little less road-bias to allow the discovery to be used on green lanes further away and perhaps local in the event the Series 3 is bust.

I don't want crazy mud tyres or a lot of road noise but can afford to give up some road manners if needs be.

The Disco will still be my daily drive so I want something that can be driven on the motorway without issue.

So, what do people have fitted? What would you fit again and what would you avoid?

Cheers

these;

f.jpg

?

They look fairly aggressive! Something that hadn't crossed my mind until now was fuel consumption, unusual thoughts for a V8 owner I know, but something that isn't going to increase the consumption too much would be nice.

I was thinking more along these lines;

tyre-All-Terrain-T-slash-A-KO-00465-z.jpg

I think cooper do something similar, just finding a supplier at a sensible price!

Yes, those, they aren't crazy muds, but one man's crazy is another man's cool ;)

I run these:

http://www.yv4wd.com.au/images/products/JT2larg.jpg

Bit more aggressive than the BFGs, in fact old BFGs are more aggressive IMHO.

Sensible price is a hard one, BFGs often do 40-50,000 miles before being changed... so work out cheaper as lot of the time.

Not advocating BFGs you understand here, there are plenty of other good marques out there, tyres tend to get done to death on forums with everyone having 2 penneth...

Don't forget to look at the speed rating of these tyres above. D1 V8 discos were supplied with H 130mph rated tyres as standard, so speed rating is something to bear in mind if you are going to do a lot of high speed motorway runs, which V8 discos can easly do. :i-m_so_happy:

Just a penneth worth, the first tread seems wider than the rim -- good one as the tread protects the side wall as well as the edge of the rim, the second tread pattern seems to be narrower exposing the sidewall to possible damage, tearing on rocks etc and foreign objects getting between the rim and sidewall/bead.

On bitumin the second tread is the go, being narrower it will allow the tyre to stay cooler as there is less surface area therefore less friction and therefore less tyre wear, off the hard stuff and onto loose dirt though the first tread is the go.

you are correct about the coopers - they are the discoverer st - same basic pattern as the bfg at's, and they are really good tyres. had them on my disco last winter, and they were fantastic in the snowy stuff - yet to find out what the bfg's are like.

BFG A/T are really good tyres but the M/T are just a little disapointing for the money.

For a road tyre BTWm if the tread is wider than the rim you don't get as good a "turn in", but be guided by the manufacturer's recomendations for rims vs tread.

I've got some Avons on the LSE for tarmac and they are really good, but I don't go crazy off tarmac.

After doing some digging about I went with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012 tyres, first impressions are very good. They seem to be quieter than the ones that came off and seem fairly grippy.

I had a run up to Newcastle and back which they were fine with, just waiting for some snow and some mud to test the other side of them :)