300 TDi decat flex joint

elbekko

I've been looking at a decat pipe for my 300 TDi, as I have a feeling the cat's had it.

Now, looking on the Devon site, there's a regular mild steel Britpart one with a flex section, and a stainless one without this flex section.

So, two questions really:

1) What's the quality of that Britpart kit? Will it rust through after the first spot of salt, or is it as good as the genuine stuff?

2) Is that flex joint needed? I suppose the rubber mounting bushes of the exhaust should be able to take most of the flex in the exhaust, but I wouldn't want to put extra stress on my exhaust manifold by not having it.

I have just fitted a de-cat pipe to my 300Tdi Defender and there is no flexi in it. The engine cannot move much on the mounts so I guess that any movement is taken up in the pipe. The system I fitted was Britpart and did not seem any better or worse than any other brand of aftermarket pipe. And at less that £20 from Paddock I am not that worried about life expectancy! Remember that exhausts (on cars that are used!) rust from the inside out as the engine produces sulphuric (battery) acid as it runs.

HTSH

Chris

Hi

The easiest way to get it in is to put a jack under the front of the chassis and lift the body up as far as it will go until the wheels are almost off the ground(rem axle stands). the anti roll bar can be dr5opped out of the way but it was okay on mine. this way it goes in on it's side over the axle the up to the turbo from there. I bought the defender part for my 300 tdi disco and it fitted a treat. There you go my two pence worth. Oh and I got 20 quid for weighing in the CAT as well!