Difference between 200tdi themostats

Had a long standing cooling issue with the 110 and now believe it may have originally been fitted with an 82 degree stat? (Heard rumours this was once an option on some 200tdis). When I changed the original a few years ago I never checked the rating and threw it away so will never know!

As it was in the depths of winter it seemed fine and the engine warmed up much quicker. However in the warmer months it transpired that the gauge was reading almost into the red. I am now thinking this could be because the gauge was originally matched to an 82 degree stat.

Decided to fit an 82 degree stat from a disco which i had lying around in the shed just to see if the reading on the gauge returned to normal.

Just noticed the disco stat doesn't have the toggle through it which I assume is there to assist filling the system and avoiding airlocks.

Anyone know why the disco doesn't have it and whether I should modify it before fitting or will it be ok as long as I fill up carefully.

Cheers Mark

A 200tdi disco thermostat does have the jiggle valve in it. i'd suggest what you found in the shed isnt a 200disco stat!

Jon

Well it came from a 200tdi head which I'd bought off ebay and still had what looked like a disco thermostat housing attached? Unless it was off a range rover?

standard factory fit thermostat should be a 88 degree with the jiggle pin in the disc, 74 & 82 were optional on the older 2.5TD engines.

Does anybody have a defender 200tdi with a factory fitted 82 degree stat then? Mine was first registered overseas if that makes any difference?

further there is ONLY a 88 degreestat listed in the LR parts books/Microcat for all markets, if your temp gauge is reading incorrect then the sender unit needs swapping or fit a VDO temp gauge with a matching sender unit.

Ok then maybe just me clutching at straws.

Have fitted a VDO gauge but recently temperature rose to 95/96 this whilst steady motorway driving in winter.

Suspect that working hard in summer it would significantly exceed this.

Just tested the three 88 degree stats in my possession and the one I'm currently using (genuine item) does seem to open a touch later than the others. Although I'm not sure its enough to make any difference I may as well give one of the others ago.

Only other thought is that the britpart radiator I fitted doesn't seem any where near as heavy duty as the original item although had the same overheating issue with the old rad?

Failing that might try a new genuine water pump although they seem a bit pricey.

Mark

My 88 110 has a defender 200Tdi and when I got it the temp gauge sat in the middle I changed the Stat as I though tit might be the reason for slow heat up and it now sits just of the Red, even tried another stat but the same so I think I have the same issue as you!

Middle of the gauge is the normal operating position, or always was when my 200Tdi still had the old gauges.

Re. Thermostats, don't bother with anything but genuine ones.

Sits well past the middle almost into the red, well it did until I installed a VDO gauge, now runs at 90-95 but not had the chance to work it hard in hot weather yet.

Have just fitted a different 88 degree stat to see if it makes any difference.

My 88 110 has a defender 200Tdi and when I got it the temp gauge sat in the middle I changed the Stat as I though tit might be the reason for slow heat up and it now sits just of the Red, even tried another stat but the same so I think I have the same issue as you!

Sounds like a similar problem. Doesn't leave much margin for error if the needle is just hovering below the red!

Must be that thermostats are pretty variable. Will let you how I get on tomorrow with a different stat.

I read on here somewhere that 82C was an option for the 200tdi, but nearly all were fitted with the 88C stat.

I serviced my coolant system lately and thought that i would replace the stat whilst at it. I bought one - Waxstat 88C (i beleive they make them for land rover). I fitted it and ran the engine up to temperature. It heated up quick enough, but kept going! The temp guage went to the far right of the white section on the guage. In the summer, it usually sits at midway, in the winter, just to the left of midway. I took the new stat out and tested it - it didnt open until 95C and was fully open by 97C! Shouldnt have wasted my money as the old stat was working perfectly when i finally tested that (fully open at 88C).

I read on here somewhere that 82C was an option for the 200tdi, but nearly all were fitted with the 88C stat.

I serviced my coolant system lately and thought that i would replace the stat whilst at it. I bought one - Waxstat 88C (i beleive they make them for land rover). I fitted it and ran the engine up to temperature. It heated up quick enough, but kept going! The temp guage went to the far right of the white section on the guage. In the summer, it usually sits at midway, in the winter, just to the left of midway. I took the new stat out and tested it - it didnt open until 95C and was fully open by 97C! Shouldnt have wasted my money as the old stat was working perfectly when i finally tested that (fully open at 88C).

Funnily enough the one I've been running is a Waxstat bought from a land rover dealer! It too didin't start to open until 92/93 degrees and wasn't fully open until 95 .

If the genuine stat isn't reliable then where do you get one?

Mark

Well just been out christmas shopping today with a different but still 88 degree stat in and its running noticeably cooler. Success!

Highest temp I achieved was about 88 so much happier with this. Can't wait to test it in warmer conditions but more confident the cooling system is working ok and it was just the stat which was creating a higher operating temp.

Another thing did become apparent though. When I switch the blower on full the temp gauge instantly rises about 2 degrees suggesting an electrical fault somewhere. Only seemed to be the temp gauge affected. Poor earth?

Thanks for your help everyone will keep you updated.

Cheers Mark