engine lumpy

What fuel? On pure DERV mine shows occasional small symptoms as you discribe, on SVO, WVO or Bio its quite regular...I put it down to lack of fuel until there's a little bit of warmth there...the hand throttle comes into its own.

The fuel is normal diesel ,i have completely rebuilt the engine recently ,new pistons rebore ,camshaft ,camshaft bearings ,tappet assemblys etc .

After a while i adjusted the valve clearances and that is when it started to (cough and misfire ) when cold untill warmed up .

Could be a leaky injector or possibly low compression on one cylinder, although that is unlikely to be the case if you have fitted new rings correctly. But you may have a leak in the head gasket?

Check the clearances again though as it was fine before you did them. It's probably something simple like that.

Could be a leaky injector or possibly low compression on one cylinder, although that is unlikely to be the case if you have fitted new rings correctly. But you may have a leak in the head gasket?

Check the clearances again though as it was fine before you did them. It's probably something simple like that.

Have got another set of injectors in at mo and no change ,rechecked the clearances they were fine ,thinking of backing them of slightly because they all

needed adjusting up a bit which produced the cough come missfire when cold ,

Wondering if the injector pump has a problem when cold ??

Quite a few Defnder 200 TDis i know of do this when cold, and my 300 wich has never done it did it the other morning briefley when i started it in the cold without giving the glowplugs time to warm.

I wouldnt worry about it if it only does it in the cold, alot of perkins engines i have used also do this, many advise to hold the key in the 'heat' position until the engine runs smoothly.

Will.

If only there was some sort of clue as to what the problem could be.

Nope, I'm stumped.

S0 if it is the fact i have set the valve clearances to exactly the right clearance ,why would that make it lumpy ,an answer to the problem would be good instead

of quoting something i have already said .