Heavy duty paint

Boris113

I'm looking for some very tough paint for items such as A-frame arms, shock mounts and steering arms etc. So far I've tried combi-colour and cheap e-bay calliper paint but both seem to chip/scrape easily, can anyone suggest something that is particularly durable?

The only criteria are that it must be brush-able and bright yellow :ph34r:

I was thinking of using JCB yellow heavy duty enamel (ebay again) and then baking it in the oven, would this stand up to off road abuse and steam cleaning or is there something better out there?

Thanks in advance, Harry

I have found the rustoleum combi-color to be really good. I am surprised you are finding that it is causing problems unless there is an issue with surface prep?

It doesn't go straight onto new fresh bare metal very well, so is best used with a primer in that situation, bit otherwise its good.

The 90 is used for everything from commuting to playdays.

I wouldn't normally bother but i'm rebuilding it onto a galv chassis at the moment so it's easy to get to everything and i've got time over christmas.

Thanks everyone, I think I will give the combi colour another go with a different primer and see how that fares first (got 5 litres of it in the shed), if not then powdercoating or tekaloid will be the order of the day. I did consider electro coating, but it does seem rather expensive.

Does anyone know roughly what sort of price powdercoating is?

Harry

I would say that the quality of the preparation and application often matters more than the actual paint you use when it comes to durability.

The underside bits of my Series III (axles/steering bars etc.) were just done with Hammerite, one coat of primer and then two of black topcoat. Still shiny and intact almost two years on :)

Thanks everyone, I think I will give the combi colour another go with a different primer and see how that fares first (got 5 litres of it in the shed), if not then powdercoating or tekaloid will be the order of the day. I did consider electro coating, but it does seem rather expensive.

Does anyone know roughly what sort of price powdercoating is?

There is a dedicated primer available for the combi-color which is good and similarly quick drying, however I have also used bonda primer with some success. It is a different chemical base though so needs plenty of time to dry (like 5days or so) before over coating with the combi color.

I was quoted 35 quid to powdercoating a winch bumper...

Hth

Mark