Tow rope whats your ideal length?

agent nomad

It does remind me of an information ad.......

Tommys Discovery just wanted to help people, it was a loving Land Rover but Tommy didn't care.

Tommy would use his Discovery to abuse recovery equipment and other Land Rovers.

Please help stop this abuse before it's too late.

Are you sure you have got your Yorkshire spell checker on ?

I thought it said

Eee ere cooms Tommy, eel be able to sort it out, ee always doos.

So while Tommy rocks up in his vastly modified Disco, with a (reasonably) standard tow bar/plough......he saves the day.............

If you go to 3.99 minutes of the video you can hear the bloke in the really sorted truck cab screaming...........Tommy can you hear me!! TOMMY CAN YOU HEAR ME!??????

Council land?!

Sorry not council land but the council stopped it being used, was a private land owner, apparently used for 50 odd years for off roading but the council closed it down despite him offering to give the land to the ACU to organise proper moto-x on it.

BTW I'm not from the area it's just what I have been able to work out from his youtube feed and google.

8m is a good length for a rope with a soft eye at each end that will fit snugly over a 50mm tow ball. Definitely hawser laid. This should also include a sliding sleeve that will prevent the rope from whipping back and cutting your head off or at the very least, give you a nasty bruise or dent your car.

Sorry to get back on topic

What I assume is meant by a sliding sleeve is a form of whip check ( I have seen the same idea with a lot of different names in different industries).

Basically a light line which attaches to the tow line 18" or so up from the eye or hook, the other end is attached to the vehicle, importantly NOT to the recovery point but to another point, the tie down eyes are fine.

The theory is that if the tow rope snaps or the recovery point comes loose it will do so with a lot of force and whip back, after it has travelled a short distance the whip check will take up the load, this is almost certain to snap as well in a recovery but will do so with a lot less force so it will act to kill the whip in the line before it snaps. Ideally they are rigged with a bit of play in the whip check line so both lines don't just sanp together, a common mistake is to attache them to the same recovery point as the main line so if that fails then they do nothing. Obviously whip checks should be used at both ends of the line.

Normally if a line in good condition fails it will do so at the recovery point as it is going round a sharp bend there which reduces the effective strength of the line.

They are not generally used in vehicle recovery as far as I am aware with winch sails or similar being more common and obviously idealy you will have ropes and recovery points that don't fail!.

The same idea is most common on airlines where if the coupling or the fitting fail under pressure those hose can fly about and injure people before it can be turned off, the whip check acts to reduce the potential movement of the line.

How does this sliding sleeve work? Also would you forsee any issue with doubling this up to make it legal for road towing?

A sacrificial rope that I mentioned in my first post on here. Works a Sean says. I have some thick plastic rope guylines from my ZA tent. I tie mine to the lashing eye.

Info above about 'flappits' is correct it is/was a working quarry locals would play in on a weekend. I have been in both landys and on my bike, it attracted quite the clientel!

It has now been blocked off and is policed on weekends, so tommy will have to get his fix elsewhere probably at tong.

Will. (sorry if ot)