What Do You Think?

I made two of these last year to sell; one is fitted in my 90 and the other is a pattern for future reference (neither are for sale). The idea being that I could make enough money to see me through January, February and March as work goes extremely quiet during this period; we're temporarily laid off until the festival season and touring kicks off in April (it's then manic until December).

I used Maranti because it's quite a stable hard wood (the same material is used for front doors, door and window frames in houses), it's hard-wearing and relatively inexpensive. Walnut, including labour and a small profit, was out of the question due to the price of the raw material (£60 per cubic foot). Mahogany and oak make it slightly more expensive than maranti but much cheaper than walnut. However, maranti is quite beautiful in itself, the overall colour is a reddy brown with golden hues in bright light. I finished the items with Dutch Oil to bring out the grain and protect the wood from insects and moisture. Furthermore, the oil has to be re-applied every twelve months to maintain it's appearance and increase it's life.

Below are photos of the item fitted and two close ups:

opt_90_dash_01.jpg

opt_90_dash_02.jpg

opt_90_dash_03.jpg

What do you think? I would be interested in hearing your comments - good, bad or indifferent!

I have a few other ideas to improve the dashboard top by losing the ashtray and creating places in which to store bits and pieces such as change, keys, pens, etc; a matching console to incorporate switches, CB, etc; and, a matching centre cubby box.

Bob

Thank you!

It doesn't get anymore damp than this:

lr90.jpg

The hood's been on the vehicle for nearly four years, it's never garaged and leaks like a sieve (in prolonged downpours) on the top front corners of the doors. The dashboard has been fitted for approximately 11 months and it's a solid piece of seasoned hard wood with six coats of Dutch Oil, it's unlikely that it will warp!

Bob

I made a new dash too!!

Thought I would share it with you as well............

gallery_4554_1224_77398.jpg

It can hold a cup of tea which was important. And I made a mobile telephone holder/sat nav holder for when driving.

I think it is an important upgrade! :P

Thank you for your input, it's given me something to think about!

Eds, that's a great idea! Have you thought about cutting out rounded rectangular holes with a jigsaw and screwing/bonding thin aluminium sheet or 2mm chequer plate underneath the holes? You would then have 'trays' to store bits and pieces without them sliding along the dashboard whilst you're driving!

Ashtray, any hard wood would be sufficent. Cherry is a beautiful wood as is 'birds eye' maple or, even better, 'tiger' maple (very difficult to source in this country). I'm not too sure about oak... Oak is beautiful too, got great waterproof properties but once seasoned it's as hard as steel, any movement in the wood (contraction and expansion) may cause damage to the bulkhead, it's that strong! Over time, however, oak goes grey and needs to be regularly oiled to maintain it's appearance. The alternative (and probably the best) is Iroko, a Japanese hard wood with a tight grain and natural waterproofing properties. It's half the cost of oak and, over time, becomes a dark golden brown!

Bob

Thank you for your input, it's given me something to think about!

Eds, that's a great idea! Have you thought about cutting out rounded rectangular holes with a jigsaw and screwing/bonding thin aluminium sheet or 2mm chequer plate underneath the holes? You would then have 'trays' to store bits and pieces without them sliding along the dashboard whilst you're driving!

Ashtray, any hard wood would be sufficent. Cherry is a beautiful wood as is 'birds eye' maple or, even better, 'tiger' maple (very difficult to source in this country). I'm not too sure about oak... Oak is beautiful too, got great waterproof properties but once seasoned it's as hard as steel, any movement in the wood (contraction and expansion) may cause damage to the bulkhead, it's that strong! Over time, however, oak goes grey and needs to be regularly oiled to maintain it's appearance. The alternative (and probably the best) is Iroko, a Japanese hard wood with a tight grain and natural waterproofing properties. It's half the cost of oak and, over time, becomes a dark golden brown!

Bob

Iroko is a beautiful wood :wub: but the dust when working it is horrible on the throat!!!!!