Disco Front axle on a 110?

Some great mis-information in the posts here....

1. 110 front axle is NOT a salisbury, it is a rover-type exactly the same as on a 90, a Disco & RRC. (there may be some rare military apps with a salisbury front before anyone tries to get pedantic)

2. The springs are the same diameter defender/disco/RRCs front axles though spring rates may vary.

3. Early 110s were fitted with a type of CV which is generally acknowledged as being the strongest standard item LR used. But the same axle has 10 spline halfshafts and diff centres which are generally considered weaker than later 24 spline units.

4. Brakes have generally been larger on 110 as compared to 90s and Disco & co. All parts are interchangeable though.

For what its worth my opinion is that you can fit any Rover axle to the front of any of the different models (though make sure your new axle comes with radius arms as these can vary). But make sure you fit the correct brakes for the model you are fitting it to.

HTHs

Just so happens I have a complete early 110 axle here which I am going to sell at some point. Reason. I changed it for a complete disco one that I had recently completely rebuilt and strengthened. I fitted TD5 110 calipers and vented discs while I was doing the change but left the axle completely untouched, just swapped it straight over. Having never broken a LR CV under normal driving conditions with standardish sized wheels I don't think the difference in CV strength is such an issue. A mate of mine owns a very busy garage in an agricultural area and he says they have yet to have to replace a terminally broken CV on a standard land rover.

There's not a lot in it with 10 to 24 spline - common misconception; however a 24spline 4 pinion is different

Better to use the 10 spline as a 'fuse' in the set up as it's cheap and easy to replace

Driven sensibly a standard 110 set up should last 250k miles and 20+ years. Driven like a complete XXXX it's a different story

You are all assuming that the early 110" axle in question has the 23/10 spline cv's which are good, but it may have the 32/10 spline version which makes it the most pathetic thing Land Rover ever made.

And being as the newest shinyest 10 spline tut is what 19 years old now, i'd be seriously looking at that disco axle myself!

And i really don't believe in the weak link nonsense either. Surely you don't want it to break at all? cut gears on 10 spline versus forged gears, the later 24 spline diffs have a 18mm cross shaft not 15.6mm so ARE stronger. Cv's on 24 spline stuff are supported by proper needle roller bearings not a phosphor bronze ring that wears away in 5 mins. 24 spline stuff is equally cheap as 10 spline thanks to the vast numbers of rusty school run disco's.

my ten pence worth.

Steve