Scary Axle U bolts

Davewillb

Hi,

I've just bought some replacement springs for my series 2a and made a start this morning by taking the angle grinder to the existing U bolts - I didn't think they looked too bad until I cut them while they were under tension but you can see in the pictures below how the curved top section just disapeared

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

Dave

Not much metal left...... and they're not THAT thick to begin with.....

I once broke a brand new u-bolt by simply climbing a 2feet brick wall.... After that I was carrying a spare u-bolt just in case...

I now have some uber-beefy grade8 5/8 U-bolts with tall nuts and 1/4" thick washers lying here ready for when I start my massive rebuild... I doubt I'll ever break these....

IMG_0520.jpg

I guess not, they look good don't they - my new springs came with replacement U bolts but I haven't unwrapped them yet .....but probably need to just to check they are ok - I'm still struggling to get spring bolts undone, the ones at the front of the front springs and the rear of the rear springs arn't too bad to get at, but the ones that are underneath are a right pain and I need to get the body up higher I thik.

The bolts have been soaking in plusgas for a week now as well :wacko:

I noticed huge differences in the sort of u-bolt each time I ordered new ones. That was from paddocks. The one time they're metric, the next time they were....whatever... zinc plated and non zinc-plated.... Differences in diameter as well... Strange...

Those bolts are always 'fun' when they haven't been touched for years.... You might as well attack them with an angle grinder.... those bushes are most likely in need of replacing anyway if you can't even get the bolts to move....

Could it be worth looking at truck suppliers for U-bolts of better quality? Mine were made by a spring supplier (M16 high tensile) and are much beefier than the std LR ones.

I think my new U bolts are ok as they came from a very reputable spring supplier but thanks for the tip - the main reason for putting the pictures on the forum was to show others the state they can be in and worth a careful check.

Dave

Could it be worth looking at truck suppliers for U-bolts of better quality? Mine were made by a spring supplier (M16 high tensile) and are much beefier than the std LR ones.

I have..... once... and ran away after hearing their price! They quoted someting like 80euro a pair IIRC. Ridiculous.

The ones I have now were $13,60 each

They are ~ £270 including various bits an they are blue - pity they don't come fitted, half way through fitting them!

Dave

still expensive then :unsure: are the still that hideous light blue that peels off every time you look at it? i found it 'interesting' when removing the bolts, i attacked one with the grinder on it the find the shackles where threaded! :huh: spent the whole day bashing the 5hit out of it!, never again! them springs aren't worth it, i spent weeks reading reviews and writes about how "awesome" they are and how they ride like coilers.. :banned::rtfm:

i just hope you have a good spine. :(

still expensive then :unsure: are the still that hideous light blue that peels off every time you look at it? i found it 'interesting' when removing the bolts, i attacked one with the grinder on it the find the shackles where threaded! :huh: spent the whole day bashing the 5hit out of it!, never again! them springs aren't worth it, i spent weeks reading reviews and writes about how "awesome" they are and how they ride like coilers.. :banned::rtfm:

i just hope you have a good spine. :(

It is a 'hard work' to say the least isn't it - one of those jobs where you wish you had access to a hoist and could get the Land Rover up nice and high. Still this is the last big job I need to do before rthe MOT with any luck, the Landy has been off the road for years and I'm almost there.

I haven't driven a series Land Rover with parabolics but I'm not expecting it to be like a coil spring 90 when it finally gets on the road, if it stands fairly level and doesn't shake my teeth out when I hit a pot hole I'll be happy, the old conventional springs where completely knackered - bit like the U bolts really I spose.

Dave

i found it 'interesting' when removing the bolts, i attacked one with the grinder on it the find the shackles where threaded

Thats funny, every set of original shackles I own has got threaded holes in one half, you mean you've got shackles that are not threaded?

Thats funny, every set of original shackles I own has got threaded holes in one half, you mean you've got shackles that are not threaded?

bad grammar by me. :blush:

i cut the head off hoping to extract the bolt using the nut but that BADLY failed because of the threaded shackle :wacko: :wacko: spend the rest of the day bashing the 5hit out of it! :closedeyes:

It is a 'hard work' to say the least isn't it - one of those jobs where you wish you had access to a hoist and could get the Land Rover up nice and high. Still this is the last big job I need to do before the MOT with any luck, the Landy has been off the road for years and I'm almost there.

your right with the hoist idea!! i found it such a pain just try to get the jack high enought to get it off the ground, then fitted the new ones and i couldn't remove the stands because new 'lift' they gave.

sounds like mine, last on the road in 2004! and then the owner had NO respect for it! :(:banned: what shocks you fitting? and if you don't already know, expect a 2" (ish) lift before the sag settle. :)

TBH parabolics are only half the story, my shiny new shocks have transformed the 109 and whereas before it was less bone-shaking thanks to the paras, now it is *very* close to a coiler especially on the road. I suspect cheap ProComps etc. don't do a lot of favours.