R380 .... what have I done ?

Wex

Hi Folks ,

I'm nearly finished converting a 130 chassis cab over to 130 tipper with full height toolbox between the bed and cab.I'm a tree surgeon.Anyway this evening I went to do a bit of work on the rear cross member mounting some lights. I went to turn the vehicle lights on which I did.I was going to be a while , so 'didnt want the battery running down too much so decided reach in and start it and then set the revs on the hand throttle.Thing is it was still in gear.I dont know whether it was in first or reverse as it happened so quick. I don't know what I've done to the gearbox (I presume) but gear selection now is a mess.Without the clutch depressed I can sweep the gearstick right across from 1 st thru 3rd and across to 5th with no resistance.The same but a little resistance at each gear position across from 2nd thru 4th and across to Reverse.The gearstick won't stay locked in any position ie it returns to neutral . I can occasionally get some forward movement , feels like second gear even though I'm holding the stick in 1st , 3rd 4 th etc

I'm stumped , anyone got any ideas ?

Cheers , D

1996 300 TDi

Was there any grinding or bangs?

Smasher , I might have heard a crack but the door pillar/quarter light gave me a smack on the head as the vehicle lurched.So I was seeing stars for a sec or two.

Starting it in gear should not effect the gear box, it might not do he starter motor any good though. I would start it in neutral and then see how the box performs.

Hi Frax , I did just that(see above) and I can engage a gear , which gear it is I dont know , feels like second .

How does the clutch feel? Does it feel like it's working? any unusual noises?

Might be worth draining the gearbox and see what comes out? Drain through an old sieve or something to catch any bits, if you find any post some pics and someone will probably be able to identify them ... although if anything big enough to identify comes out it's probably rebuild time.

Are you sure it hasnt been knocked into neutral on the transfer box? I can run mine through the gears without the clutch and with the engine running when the TXB is in neutral.

Hi Reb , pretty sure it hasn't.The one gear that sometimes works is evident in both high and lo box.

As said check the Transfer box gear stick, I can not see that anything you have done would effect the gear box in any way. Make sure the Transfer box gear stick is OK and making good contact. You could I suppose have knocked a linkage from this stick.

The gearstick won't stay locked in any position ie it returns to neutral .

Surely if it won't stay in gear the transfer box is too far along the line to be looking?

I'd have thought it would have to be a clutch or gearbox problem, more likely gearbox.

Although you would have to be very unlucky to damage either with what you have described :(

Are you sure it hasnt been knocked into neutral on the transfer box? I can run mine through the gears without the clutch and with the engine running when the TXB is in neutral.

Sorry meant to say when I run the gears through its a continuos sweep from left to right and vice versa without back down to neutral and up to each gear positionif I'm explaining it properly.

I would agree but why would it happen by turning the started with it in gear, (That I don't understand) My thought is that if say the Transfer box was knocked into low it may give the feeling of being in second gear. That is why I would check that - I know my Transfer box feels a bit mussy when trying to find a gear and I know that the linkages can also get loose and the top shuttle stiff if not used. Easy check which is worth doing.

Surely if it won't stay in gear the transfer box is too far along the line to be looking?

I'd have thought it would have to be a clutch or gearbox problem, more likely gearbox.

Although you would have to be very unlucky to damage either with what you have described :(

If the transfer box is in neutral does the main gearstick remain in the gear selected position.AS far as I can remember it does , no ?

Sorry meant to say when I run the gears through its a continuos sweep from left to right and vice versa without back down to neutral and up to each gear positionif I'm explaining it properly.

Is it possible something in here has been damaged/dislodged?

post-25689-0-37244900-1329175772_thumb.jpgpost-25689-0-10341700-1329175777_thumb.jpg

or maybe the screw here has come loose?

post-25689-0-90981100-1329175782_thumb.jpg

Gearchange yoke free on the selector shaft? Isn't it only locked in place with one grubscrew?

I remember something similar happening on an LT77 but it was a long time back.

Edit : Wabbit beat me to it!

Edited by TSD

If you started it up in gear and then realized, so you would try and pull the gear stick back into neutral without depressing the clutch this would be hard to do as it is driving on the gear teeth and would require a fair bit of effort, as you are doing this you also get hit on the head, so everything is a little blurred, the possible result is you have pulled the gear stick linkage apart enough for it to flop around and only find one gear.

So the repair could be re adjust the linkage and it's all ok.

Paul.

Is it possible something in here has been damaged/dislodged?

post-25689-0-37244900-1329175772_thumb.jpgpost-25689-0-10341700-1329175777_thumb.jpg

or maybe the screw here has come loose?

post-25689-0-90981100-1329175782_thumb.jpg

Spot on Mr Wabbit :D It was a couple of threads loose . I'm guessing that the shunt was enough to knock the yoke forward completely.I've cleaned both and threadlocked it in this time.Thanks for your help bud , much appreciated ;):i-m_so_happy: I had visions of having to fork out for a change of gearbox.

Indeed thanks to all who helped , Frax etc :i-m_so_happy::)