Low Ratio Engaged Switch

Don Del

I am looking for a part number for the low ratio engaged switch on my '99 V8 Defender 110 Station Wagon. I haven't got round to taking it out yet but I know it is definitely stuffed. Is the switch the same as the diff lock switch - PRC2911? I have checked various parts manuals and can find no reference to the switch.

The last eight digits of the VIN areXA159828.

Cheers,

Del

The switch is located below and to the left of the reversing light switch. In the Haynes manual for '83-'07 diesel Defenders it is referred to as a "low detect switch". If you have a copy of this manual it is on page 7A.6. It is there on my vehicle and disconnected and it is definitely not the diff lock switch.

Not sure what you are refering to... what has given you the sign that 'this' has failed?

The switch is disconnected and from the state of the plastic around the connectors it is clearly stuffed. I suppose I could bridge across the contacts in the disconnected cable coupling to see if any warning light comes on. It looks as though I was wrong in my initial description of the function of the switch but the fact remains it is there and as I have already said Haynes describes it as a "low detect switch". But what low???

Td5s have a high/low range switch, since the OPs vehicle was built in the Td5 era (just) its quite possible that it was included on his V8 model even if it isn't used. Especially since it's an export model.

Is the V8 ECU-controlled or is it carbs? If it's ECU then it will have a feed from a high/low sensor to adjust throttle response just like a Td5.

Td5s have a high/low range switch, since the OPs vehicle was built in the Td5 era (just) its quite possible that it was included on his V8 model even if it isn't used. Especially since it's an export model.

Is the V8 ECU-controlled or is it carbs? If it's ECU then it will have a feed from a high/low sensor to adjust throttle response just like a Td5.

I think we might be getting somewhere! The engine is on carbs.

found it in my LR RAVE info, it's on the forward face of the front output housing -- see pages below highlighted green item 37 or 38 depending on early or late transferbox.

part number to follow

http://www.brit-car....hp?xProd=122627 IGM100000 the other number is IGM100010 but I can't find a photo of it,

Did you check my scanned page? My switch is located on the right hand side. Also further to Retroanaconda's post is it of any practical use on my vehicle?

looking at your page the left hand picture actually matches the location as on my attachment above, the orange arrow is the difflock linkage the blue is the front output housing.

any reference to left or right should always be the vehicles left or right as sat in the driving seat or stood behind the vehicle facing forwards that way the convention is always the same & prevents confusion.

probably of no use to your vehicle, but it serves a purpose as a blanking plug to prevent any transfer box oil leaking.

post-20-0-85845900-1329510041_thumb.jpg

looking at your page the left hand picture actually matches the location as on my attachment above, the orange arrow is the difflock linkage the blue is the front output housing.

any reference to left or right should always be the vehicles left or right as sat in the driving seat or stood behind the vehicle facing forwards that way the convention is always the same & prevents confusion.

probably of no use to your vehicle, but it serves a purpose as a blanking plug to prevent any transfer box oil leaking.

In referring to the right hand side I used the convention you refer to. I think you are right, it is just serving as an expensive blanking plug! Many thanks to you and the others answering this post. At least it is one less job for me to plan for.