1995 V8i Emissions MOT Fail

harrypalmer68

If it came with a cat/cats from the factory then yes it needs them for the MOT and disco are tested in class 4 just like any other "people carrier" type vehicle.

Class 4... Cars, including 3 wheeled vehicles more than 450kg unladen weight, Taxis, Minibuses and Ambulances up to 12 passenger seats, Goods Vehicles not exceeding 3000kg Design Gross Weight (DGW), Motor Caravans and Dual Purpose Vehicles

I was going to suggest replacing the air filter, as a clogged up one can often mess with the emissions.

However if that was the case it would be running rich rather than lean. I haven't heard of a car failing an MOT for being too lean before.

Are we sure the lambda reading is in fact too lean?

If it came with a cat/cats from the factory then yes it needs them for the MOT and disco are tested in class 4 just like any other "people carrier" type vehicle.

Class 4... Cars, including 3 wheeled vehicles more than 450kg unladen weight, Taxis, Minibuses and Ambulances up to 12 passenger seats, Goods Vehicles not exceeding 3000kg Design Gross Weight (DGW), Motor Caravans and Dual Purpose Vehicles

Yes they are class 4 but a 7 seat vehicle is NOT classed as a passenger vehicle therefore only needs basic emissions test the same as if you present a vehicle running on lpg. Also just because a vehicle left the factory with a cat fitted it doesnt mean it needs it for mot, if it doesnt require a full cat test it doesnt need a cat.

Yes they are class 4 but a 7 seat vehicle is NOT classed as a passenger vehicle therefore only needs basic emissions test the same as if you present a vehicle running on lpg. Also just because a vehicle left the factory with a cat fitted it doesnt mean it needs it for mot, if it doesnt require a full cat test it doesnt need a cat.

Quite right . ... but as this is a V8 thread which may require a full emissions test my previous statement stands true.