Disco Newby with rust problems

adamplatts

What would I need to spend and on what model / type if I upgraded the welder?

Adam, you don't say which model of welder you have apart from its a clarke,s one. With most of the clarkes welders the no gas welders all ready have all the bits needed to take gas..

if you did want to upgrade then some then i would recommend some thing like this

http://www.machinema...urbo-mig-welder

It will handle every job your going to come across on a land rover. Parts/consumables are cheap and easy to get hold of too.

(just) From looking at your images you really dont have that much rust and I think that a disco is perfect to learn to weld on.

Get the basics worked out on some scrap first, if you don't have some near by that can weld and show you, then use you tube, and post up images of your tests on here, people will give you pointers.

An auto welding hat is a must, and use 0.8 wire.

I disagree with the others about you must use argrosheild if you have a machine mart close enough, just use the disposable co2 bottles, the machinemart co2 bottles have more gas in them and will last a sensible amount of time. Worth a look if you are not going to do huge amounts of welding the bottle rent outlay (for the likes of BOC etal) is quite a lot.

I have to say that the disposable argoshield bottles are not worth it and don't last very long at all. Machines that use disposables can easily be made to take the bigger bottles. An advantage of having a machine that can take disposables is that you can have small vols of other gasses to hand for other metals. I keep small bottle or argon (and wire) for rare times I weld stainless...

Now wait for a nice sunny weekend and get cracking.

paul

Seriously though, practice welding on it and if that doesn't work, break it, sell the good bits and scrap the shell.

Either way you can't really loose. You should make more than your money back on the sold bits and the shell will still be worth a bit at the scrap yard.

Newbury is coming up soon so you could have a stall there. People will buy anything there if it's cheap enough. I know I do...

and some abrasive flap discs for the grinder - less aggressive than a grinding disc, and excellent for removing rust to see how far it goes

Grinder bought today. Will add flap discs to my list and go do some more shopping. The welder now has a plug on it so tomorrow could be d day for my first attempt

Be aware that B&Q is not the place to buy grinding consumables, they want insane money for discs & wheels. Check eBay, avoid Rolson stuff except the wire brushes. Oh and for the love of god wear goggles when using a wire brush in a grinder, they shed bristles which WILL fly off and stick in your flesh.

Flap wheels are good for giving a lovely smooth finish when needed, but not a substitute for a nice weld in the first place.

I have just done the rear body mountings and the boot floor, be prepared to add extra bits of steel to make the new bits fit over the big holes.

The mig welder is the same as the one I use and I think its great.

Every hour you put in on repairing it saves you between £60 and £120 in garage fees.

Get in there and work on it. If new holes appear, weld over them, steel is cheaper than garage labour.

Second user steel is even cheaper, washing machine sides and computer case bits and cable trunking is great stuff, just wear a mask if its zinc plated, that spits and stinks.

Body mountings about £16 each and boot floor £50, lots of bits for Land Rovers out there, I get mine form Paddock in Matlock. Stick goop over the joins and under seal afterwards. It will last another twenty years then.

Good luck.

Zinc plating or galv does more than spit & stink, it's highly toxic and should be removed before welding.

No I'm not a H&S nut but somebody that's new to welding needs to know that.

Edit: sorry just realized you said a mask should be worn.