Airbag Help on a 300tdi

Peterla

This morning I had the SRS light on my Disco 300tdi stay on.

The right had side S of the SRS flashes for a while then stays on.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what I should be looking into for this type of issue.

If it is too costly I will just remove all the airbag stuff but would like to keep it if I can.

Any help wil be greatly appreciated.

Peter

I'm not sure that there is much significance to what flashes (although I stand to be corrected). Does your horn work? On mine the rotating connector in the steering wheel had broken and teh aibag ECU had lost contact with the drivers airbag. Otherwise it could be any one of many connections!

Cheers

Peter

I'm not sure if it is series II onwards or whether later 300s are included, but there are yellow connectors under the driver's seat which can get detached. Have a look just in case.

Thats for the seatbelt pretensioners on Disco II's,Disco I's didnt have them.

Be carefull playing with the wiring.

You should be good unless you manage to connect a 12v supply to any of the airbags in which case they will go off (not sure what will hapen if you mess with the impact sensors, best not go there and if in doubt disconnect battery). Trying to use a resistance meter or continuity checker is to be avoided unless you are sure you know what you are doing as these introduce a current into the wire and you want to be very sure that isn't enough to set anything off.

Test book should tell you where the fault is, then "just" a case of tracking the wiring (all helpfully in yellow protection) and checking each connection.

I had a "spare" air bag a while back and decided to see what happened, they go with one hell of a bang, definantly want to have long wires attached and be away from everything else!.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have taken my 300tdi to a person with the Test book.

He could not find the port to the CPU and then admitted he just bought a Landover business and not that familiar with this.

I will leave him alone from now on.

Can anyone tell me where I should look for the Test book connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Peter

How old is your Discovery? The port in the driver footwell was only in 96MY onwards, TBH I've never met an older one with airbags (not sure if they even exist) so I can't help on that.

A fault check is needed on the system but in my experience the rotary coupler in the steering wheel is the prime suspect and be prepared to shell out a few hundred quid for a new one - anything with "safety" printed on it is a license to print money!

How old is your Discovery? The port in the driver footwell was only in 96MY onwards, TBH I've never met an older one with airbags (not sure if they even exist)

Airbags appeared in 1994 with the intoduction of the 95 Model year 300

On an earlier one (mine's '95) the connector is behind the fuse panel cover under the steering wheel, and a bit left of the steering column. It is also coated in yellow wrap to help you spot it. I recall it being rectangular with 4 or 5 flat slots for the plug to attach to.

Thanks for all the Input.

My disco was first registered in March 1995 so assume it is a 94 build.

I can find a Yellow lead with 3 spade connecters in the drivers side area behind the fuse drop down area.

Not sure if this is the one. Might have to head to a landrover rep that is 2-3 hours drive away to get this looked at.

The local reps do not seem to have the setup for this model.

Pete

It will be a 1995 model year - vin number ending in MAxxxxxx

It was a while before they got all the systems working through the single Testbook plug in the footwell (my 96MY V8 had to use a funny lead for the V8 diagnostics) but I don't think it was even there in 1995 so you'll be looking for a random connector around the vehicle and the right lead to fit into it, maybe as described above!

I sorted this issue on my soft dash RRC today. It has the same system and wiring (but a passenger airbag too). Look for a roughly 1" square white connector plug near the base of the steering column disconnected from anything else. Mine does not have the yellow sheathing of the rest of the SRS system - it merely has some yellow wires going into it. The plug has three wires and three blade terminals inside.

I had exactly the same warning light display as you (the left bulb was steady, but the right side flashed slowly for about 5 mins before becoming steady). It was because I had switched on the ignition with the driver's airbag disconnected while fitting a new indicator switch. I borrowed the Autologic system at Rogers of Bedford (they know me well) and it took less than five minutes to clear the faults, including hunting down the plug and booting up the computer.

It will be a 1995 model year - vin number ending in MAxxxxxx

It was a while before they got all the systems working through the single Testbook plug in the footwell (my 96MY V8 had to use a funny lead for the V8 diagnostics) but I don't think it was even there in 1995 so you'll be looking for a random connector around the vehicle and the right lead to fit into it, maybe as described above!

They never did sort all of it out,the 14CUX connector stayed the same funny one right to the end of production.I think the SRS was the same - been a long time since seeing one of those...

They never did sort all of it out,the 14CUX connector stayed the same funny one right to the end of production.I think the SRS was the same - been a long time since seeing one of those...

Me too. I found the best way of not dealing with old broken **** was a complete change of career and I haven't seen a broken D3 or P38 since :)