Help needed to help out a Land Rover owner...

Great news, we have had two responses with the correct axle case :D a very generous offer from Retroanaconda (James) for a free used case and another offer from V8 Landy (Ralph) of a NOS case including all new bolts (which he had as a just in case bargain), for what he paid for it, which frankly was and is a bargain as the scrap value is probably more.

We are going to take the second option as a new case with all the bolts seems the best option, and I can pick it up tomorrow on the way back from a meeting.

Guess it just remains to start the list for next Saturday, again any help would be appreciated, we have broken the back of the work now everything is rebuilt so all that remains is to put it back together, we should have it done in an hour!! :blush:

• JasonG4110 / Jason (confirmed)

As before breakfast lunch and all the tea/coffee that can be consumed will be provided.

Thanks, Jason.

Thanks for a great day Jason + the family's constant food and drink supply. Everyone worked really well and it's quite frankly more fun teamworking than doing it solo. Pity it didn't all get finished but i'm glad to see i'm not alone in having to deal with the same rusty/stuck/fubar jobs that sometimes get the better of you!

Plus with a birthday coming up i've now got a list of all the tools I realise should be in my toolbox (difflock propshaft tool, rachet spanner, massive torque wrench)

Unfortunately i'm on holiday next week but would have loved to help get the last bits sorted to see it moving again.

Will

No problem Will, thanks again for your help, I too realise I NEEEED some more tools, a new set of drill bits some left handed ones a tap and die set..... I am sure the list will grow :D

Jason.

I'm sure

Jason... only as long as there are more of those lovely cake/icing/cake thingywatsits that Hayley made :P they were scrummy :wub:

I'm sure we can get Hayley to make some more. not sure I should let Mrs S know you preferred Hayley's cooking over hers though!!

Jason.

Jason... only as long as there are more of those lovely cake/icing/cake thingywatsits that Hayley made :P they were scrummy :wub:

do i need to explain it in more depth after this comment!!! however I can't really talk as you could see on saturday

Thanks, Marc.

Are you sure the glaring is not just because you killed her washing machine?

I will stick you down as a provisional until you know you can swing it.

Jason.

Thanks to Ralph (V8 Landy) I purchased this evening a NOS axle casing, it just needs a clean but is good to go and even has all of the nuts and new bolts :D , It will make putting it all back together a lot easier. If only we had known before last Saturday!!

Jason..

post-15513-0-31528200-1330987754_thumb.jpg

Good stuff! Hopefully it will be a quick job to put it all back together again (now where have I heard that before...)

Not sure about coming over Saturday yet. Think it might take a load of faffing about to sort this tank out.

OK so after some unexpected time this afternoon the state of play is as follows:

I was able to remove the other calliper, give them a clean and strip both units which was not as easy as it should have been as the pistons did not want to come out of the callipers, but there is no surprise there is there!!

I started to build up the new axle by re-fitting the Diff and removed the breather fitting off the old axle, however the new axle is slightly newer and the breather on the new on is a screw fitting and the old one is a pop out unit that is a lot bigger so I need to find a new breather plug before the weekend.

Unfortunately I will not get any more time this week, so we are where we are, jobs to do:

• Overhaul the callipers and fit the new pistons and seals
  • Re-Fit the axle
  • Install the refurbished swivels
  • Reconnect the diff/prop shaft/ panhard etc
  • Fit new steering bars
  • Fill the Diff
  • Refit the callipers and bleed the system
  • Fit the new pads
  • Diesel filter
  • Check the fluid levels from the service

Should be done by 10:30 :blush:

Jason.....

post-15513-0-73542800-1331149821_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-58145300-1331150173_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-92446100-1331150200_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-20705600-1331150236_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-98114500-1331150252_thumb.jpg

Looking at the web etc I think the axle casing is an older one not a newer one and therefore the thread will be 1/8 BSP to 6mm push fit. looks like I can order one from Gwyn Lewis for £8 so may just order one, so we have it!!

Jason.

hmmm... wonder how long it would take to come... as I can look tomorrow.

Not an issue, I ordered 2 from ebay for £2, if you can have a look see what you can find in case they don't show but shouldn't be a big issue.

Jason.