Protecting The ECU

stuck

Gent's,

I'm sure I've read this before on here but can find the post.

I'm just about to squirt a 3.9 CCV truck for a mate but can't figure out how to protect the ECU / EDIS from water.

Being a CCV truck it doesn't have much body work let alone a roof so the only thing I can thing of doing is mounting them in an IP65 enclosure, that in itself is fine but how do I stop water getting in through the compression fitting that's going to be required for the loom?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mick.

The EDIS units are fully waterproof anyway so can/should be mounted in the engine compartment.

For the MS I personally think the best solution is simply to build the ECU into an IP67 box either still inside it's "standard" MS case or just by mounting the PCB in there without a case. It's also a good idea to put the relays and fuses in there too.

For the wiring you can either buy aftermarket waterproof chassis ECU connectors (not cheap) or make up short male to female DB harnesses that go through a standard waterproof cable entry. For the vacuum pipe just use a bulkhead connector. If you make up DB male to female connectors make sure you fill the loom with vaseline and then wrap it tightly as that will stop water travelling along the wires inside the loom.

If you only want IP65 protection then the standard MS case already meets that spec anyway, especially if you run a bead of silicone where the end plates meet the top and bottom casing.

Tesco do some very reasonable lock-and-seal tupperware you know ;)

If he's racing it's not getting submerged, just splashed, so if you run the cables in through a grommeted hole in the bottom of the box and maybe smear some silicone round it, hopefully gravity will be on your side. Just keep it out of the firing line as much as possible and all should be well. For added protection, coat the PCB with conformal coating (~£5 a tin from maplins) that will keep corrosion at bay on the insides if it's left moist, just avoid spraying the MAP sensor if possible. I coat every PCB I build as a matter of course. The MS case is pretty good but the connectors are the weak points, they should be happy enough being filled with vaseline (this is how the telecomms industry does it), everything else can be sealed with a smear of silicone.

If you want to go really extreme you can pot it, but that is kinda a one-shot deal and you'd need to mask off the MAP sensor and prevent the potting compound from creeping into the other connectors. TBH a few generous coats of conformal coating should do it, and that can be soldered-through if needed.

Any option / result is beter than none, I have seen ECU held up (Hi Mr Beagley) to allow the water to to drain out

after "Enthusiast wading" :lol:

I have seen all sorts of options, from the IP68 submersibile ali casing with O rings and bulkhead grommets made into the loom,

(Very Nice) to Tyupperware boxes and a 1/3 tonne of Silicone , to a chip as chips and hugely effective thick "Sealable bag" stuck on the

LR with velcro, and silica jell bags inside and then sealed up and glued together, and then swapped for new bag now and again.

Silca jell keeps everything dry, and I have seen this "Bagged-Ecu :lol:" completely submerged without any drama

Maybe bad and tuperware combo ? IP68 enclosures are NOT cheap

Nige

• 2 months later...

I'm using a IP rated alum box & a pair of mil spec plug & sockets for the loom. The relays & fuse box will be mounted onto the box lid and the whole thing bolted to the rear cab back behind the drivers seat as high up as possible. Should be safe there and well out of harms way :i-m_so_happy:

DSC05315_800x600.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just about got the MS unit ready for install, just the relay box to mount now and make a bracket to fit it onto the top of the seatbox behind my auto shifter. Have allowed for fan control but will prob be going for a VC fan as not 100% confident that twin electrics will do the job when it gets over 30 deg C here in summer..... :blink:

DSC05536_zpse02e369b.jpg