Off Topic - Long Vehicle

stuck

Gent's,

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it is LR related.

I'm looking to buy a new trailer to tow my CCV truck behind my 110 as my current one isn't really up to the job.

The trailer I'm looking at is a Bateson 355B which has a stated length of 16' (or 5 Mtrs in foreign dimensions)

I've tried Googling maximum permissible train length on a car licence (licence given in '89 so no additional test required) but can't find a definitive answer.

Does anyone know if this overall length would still be legal?

Thanks,

Mick.

Yes the overall length will be fine. My boat trailer is 6.8m & we tow that with the the Cherokee.

Lately the old bill have been very keen on pointing out to folk that a rear fog light is required if the trailer is 1.3m or more wide...................... gives them something to I suppose, other than accepting big bribes from the national media :rolleyes:

Mick, my trailer has an 18ft bed and another 5ft A frame. My trucks wheel base is 156in.

Have you committed to the bateson? i went to their place near your work and i honestly wasn't all that impressed with their finish quality compared to Brian James.

I've got 2 x BJ's if you wish to pop round to have a look what they're like.

G

Sorry should have said the 16' was the bed length not overall length.

I've had a look at the B&J website & they don't seem to do a 3.5T beaver tail flat which is what I'm after.

Will, I use the other trailer for carting logs etc so no it's not for sale I'm afraid.

Thanks for all the responses,

Mick.

I love my tilt, far more versatile than a beaver tail; its flat for a start. you can fit sides whereas you can't with a beaver tail, you can get lower cars on should the need arise, and they are higher at the back so you drag the arse end less.

OK Gent's,

I'm listening, are tilts as robust as a beaver tail?

I can't see me ever loading a sports car but I live down an unmade lane so not dragging it's arse on the floor does have an appeal.

How does the tilt mechanism work? Hydraulic Jack?

Mick,

My BJ tilt's are spot on. I've got an AD series 16ft bed, which i initially bought for loading sports cars. It fits my landrover with normal wheels on, but not with wide boggers ;)

I then got an 18ft x 7ft wide beavertail tilt bed tri axle. My fuel economy went down compared to the above twin axle - but it is beautiful to tow ! this is good for 3.5 tonne on paper. Probably more if you looked at each axle rating.

I'd not consider a non tilt.

G

Thanks G.

I've reviewed my choice of trailer with Bateson's as I've decided that it would be daft to get one that can only carry my CCV truck, I may as well get one that can carry my 110 wearing boggers or carry my CCV truck with sufficient space for a bolt on rack for spare wheels & a tool chest.

That means I'm now looking at beaver tail (bare with me) with a bed length of 7 Mtrs & a width of 7' 6" (sorry about the mixed units).

In Tri-axle trim the cost works out at roughly £4K + vat.

I've searched BJ's website but can't find a tilt with the same dimensions, is yours a custom build?

If so would you mind telling me how much it cost? (PM me if you like)

I don't really want to spend more than £5K all in.

Is your yank tank up & running now?

Don't forget I've still got this T/F here.

M.

Mine is an ifor Williams ct166. It's big enough for what I want, I can get anything land rover made on it anyway. It's no less sturdy than a normal ifor LM. the tilt is hydraulic and comes about by the whole drawbar being hinged by the front axle. You have to pump it but I intend to fit an electric pump and solenoid valve off a transit tipper.

I've got the BJ flatbed (non tilt) 18; x 7' twin axle and it is a great trailer. I configured it that way so I could get the maximum load weight for that size.

It pulls extremely well and with the aluminium ramps is easy to pop vehicles on. However, if I was doing it a lot a tiltbed would be very convenient.

Mick,

I'm still offshore for another week. So not touched the yank, but had some parts arrive from the US whilst i've been out here. I'll sort that t/f out then.

I paid about £2.5k second hand for mine. Why buy new ? If it's in good condition save a few pennies.

The only problem with an 18ft bed is the back of it scraping along the floor when you're driving through bumpy fields - i.e. most campsites LOL.

I didn't think the bateson was any wider than mine, i'm sure it's the same. From memory BJ and Bateson both make the same width / lengths. I don't think you can get bigger (unless it's a custom job).

G

291909_10150396302594882_667984881_9879948_170116333_n.jpg

384012_10150547247604882_667984881_10532829_799996335_n.jpg