Chipfat & Valve Seats

Andy

Right guys, anyone out there understand the real differences of how an engine runs on SVO?

since ive had my disco i've never really needed to adjust the tappets, they'd need adjusting slightly but never much. well since ive been running SVO i havent set the tappets for ages & found that they where all loose today by a lot more than i ever normally adjust them.

about a year ago the cambelt did snap & and i had to fit new pushrods they've not been reset since rebulding then. do you thing its just the new pushrods beddding in or could the SVO be causing it?

i understand lead in petrol motors, im just not sure on diesels. i personnally dont think its the SVO as that burns cooler so shouldnt affect the valveseats?

ideas please

It does provide less lubrication than Diesel - which is one reason for adding the same fuel additive you might add to ULS diesel.

I've not heard of the valve seats being damaged - and my gut feeling is that it's unlikely.

I've only adjusted the tappets after removing the head - they do not drift in normal use. I would say that this is a manifestation of a problem you had before.

Are you sure you are tightening the lock nuts appropriatly? Are the tops of your valve stems fitted with little metal caps (it was optional on 200tdi's). If not, is the top of the stem being flattened by the rocker?

Is there sufficient engine oil getting to the rockers?

Si

Are the tops of your valve stems fitted with little metal caps (it was optional on 200tdi's). If not, is the top of the stem being flattened by the rocker?

Si

What a silly component to have as an option. How is the average non mechanically minded vehicle buyer,when ordering their new truck and ticking off the options list, re bullbar, towbar, heavy duty suspension meant to know the benifit of having replacement caps on the valve stems?

Bill.

What a silly component to have as an option. How is the average non mechanically minded vehicle buyer,when ordering their new truck and ticking off the options list, re bullbar, towbar, heavy duty suspension meant to know the benifit of having replacement caps on the valve stems?

Bill.

Maybe I should qualify it to....they were not all fitted in the factory as standard as they were on 300 tdi engines They were fitted to some engines however - but it gives no clue which. The service manual suggests fitting them if you are running out of adjustment on the tappet or it is damaging the valve stem.

This suggests to me that there was more than one manufacturer of valves/rockers and perhaps these were added as an interface between the two?

Si

WTF (What The F**K) is SVO??!

Maybe in just asking this question it proves that this thread isn't for me, and therefore it's an implicit filter on acronym thickos. But this forum is aimed at all levels of LR (Land Rover) enthusiasts, and these coded threads really get on my wick!

WTF (What The F**K) is SVO??!

Maybe in just asking this question it proves that this thread isn't for me, and therefore it's an implicit filter on acronym thickos. But this forum is aimed at all levels of LR (Land Rover) enthusiasts, and these coded threads really get on my wick!

Straight Vegatable Oil.

Nothing added, nothing taken away. As you'd get from the supermarket.

Yes - so I gather after doing some research, but even in this case, it's still the 7th possible choice! I just don't see why we can't at least sometimes define acronyms at least once in a thread if it isn't used that often, so thickos like me don't have to go off and see if we can fathom out what on earth people are talking about...

So I'm not talking about LOL, SWMBO or WTF! <_<

Yes - so I gather after doing some research, but even in this case, it's still the 7th possible choice! I just don't see why we can't at least sometimes define acronyms at least once in a thread if it isn't used that often, so thickos like me don't have to go off and see if we can fathom out what on earth people are talking about...

SVO has been talked about a reasonable amount on this forum IIRC. (That's "If I Remember Correctly") :P

Forgive me if it is my turn to be a numpty but if the valve seats were recessing, erroding or suffering some damage, would the tappets not become too tight rather than loose? If they are loose, it would suggest a biuld-up of material on the valves/seats. Not impossible I guess.

Chris

Graham - i am with you on this one, coming from an organsiation that lives and breaths the buggers its nice to have a break down of what they mean now and then, have only just worke dout IIRC and IMHO let alone anything more complicated, like DROPS and WMIK, SLE, etc etc etc etc

It could be interesting to use "Singapore Volunteers Overseas" in the engine... :blink: and is SWMBO really "She Who Must Be Obeyed"? that seems a bit kinky :o

:D