Testing a lift pump

ejparrott

and without disconnecting pipework?

Depends, you could open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing and pump the lift pump by hand watching to see if any fuel comes out. Of course that doesn't check if the arm has fallen off and also won't work if the cam is in the wrong position. You could remove the lift pump and move the arm by hand....

Anything that involves turning the engine over will run the risk of introducing air into the system I would have thought.

Anything that involves turning the engine over will run the risk of introducing air into the system I would have thought.

Shouldn't really matter on a TDi though, they don't care about a bit of air in the system as far as I've noticed.

What about clear fuel line between lift pump and filter, would you see fluid moving when you pumped the handle?

Shouldn't really matter on a TDi though, they don't care about a bit of air in the system as far as I've noticed.

no, mine have never seemed to notice

Open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing. If the lift pump is delivering fuel faster than the injector pump is using it you will get fuel being pumped out. If not then you have a problem.

In reality you would notice a performance issue if the lift pump was U/S.

Chris