Bonnet steel wheel mounting kit.

Hi im fitting a bonnet mounted spare wheel kit,to my 1998 110.the plates that have to be rivited in place on the under side of the bonnet. on the fitting instructions shows rivets from under side, is this right or are the holes driled right through the bonnet and rivited from the top, any help or photo would be good.Thanks.

You can rivet from below but you need to create a gap between the skin and the strengthening bar. Not intuitive when the bonnet is upside down pushing them together. I found this out after I had drilled one side through the top. It's not easy to do it underneath but it goes. The spot welding from the factory seems to make sense why it's a pig to do with rivets.

I used pop-rivets with the heads above the bonnet. Not ideal, but not that ugly once painted - the back of the bonnet is covered in identical rivets from left to right securing the skin to the back of the frame already and the spare wheel hides the new rivets anyway. The whole kit is ugly, but it works. The kit from a MoD SIII is better, though - the quick release strap and slim rubber pads make stowing and removal easier and quicker while also keeping the spare lower to the bonnet, minimising the loss of forward visibility.