Steering Wheel Removal?

Hi all. In order to replace the Indicator arm/switch on my 2001 Defender 90 I need to remove the steering wheel which I attempted the other day. The only problem is I couldn't get it off the steering colum after undoing the nut which holds it on.

Is there any trade secrets to getting it off. I pulled with all my might but to no avail. I even tried hitting it with a hammer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Terra Dog.

If it's not on too tight you can loosen the nut and give it a whack with a lump hammer, that often loosens it.

But don't whack the thread without the nut or you'll mushroom the end.

If you're not in a rush a puller is the better option.

You can quite easily make one if you have a good thick bit of steel. Just measure the distance between the 6mm holes, and drill for 6mm bolts. Then drill and tap for an M8 in the centre. Once finished you just nip up the M6's, then screw in the M8 and off it'll pop.

IMG_0782.jpg

i used to work at a bus breakers, so i've removed a few sticky steering wheels in my time. the prefered technique was to beat opposite sides (3 o'clock and 9'oclock) fast and alternately with balled fists for 20 seconds or so, and then pull firmly on the same points, straight up the splines and towards your face. now you did leave the nut on just a turn or 2 didn't you? because if not you may break your nose.

repeat if needed. it seems wrong to be hammering down on the wheel, but down on one side equals up on the other. your fists are nice and blunt, so you won't cause any damage to the wheel. never found the need to use wd40, but it may help?

somthing to try while you're waiting for the puller to arrive!

i used to work at a bus breakers, so i've removed a few sticky steering wheels in my time. the prefered technique was to beat opposite sides (3 o'clock and 9'oclock) fast and alternately with balled fists for 20 seconds or so, and then pull firmly on the same points, straight up the splines and towards your face. now you did leave the nut on just a turn or 2 didn't you? because if not you may break your nose.

repeat if needed. it seems wrong to be hammering down on the wheel, but down on one side equals up on the other. your fists are nice and blunt, so you won't cause any damage to the wheel. never found the need to use wd40, but it may help?

somthing to try while you're waiting for the puller to arrive!

land rovers have too buch soft plastic to hit the sides