clutch adjustment, Room for manoeuvre?

jad

Hi

Im currently designing an engine adaptor for a short R380. I worked out it needed to be 52.1mm thick. The closest plate metal I can get of that thickness is 2 inches (50.8mm). I just wanted to check will it matter putting the gearbox 1.3mm closer to the engine? will it cause any problems with the clutch?

I would have thought no but wanted to check before I get something done and it turns out to be a semi expensive mistake!

Thanks

Jad

50mm steel plate can be anything from 48.2 to 52.8mm thick depending on what class of plate you want. It is also notorius for not being flat, especially after flamecutting/plasma cutting. I have had steel billets to machine where there has been anything up to 2mm deep grooves running across the plate, and you wouldn't want an engine/gearbox adaptor plate cut half in half out of one of those grooves.

Ls400 1uzfe...... A bit more power than they are used to but im hoping it will be alrite. The torque figure is within the "380Nm" of the R380 so hoping it will last. If not ashcroft will be at some point getting more money than i can really justify spending on it! Also putting an oil cooler on so hoping that will help it last longer......

As Ed has said above you want to get some 2 1/4 plate tub ground to your size... Something else worth pointing out is that flame cuts will want to bend when you take the skins off them, tub grinding wont get them flat. We use to have no end of issues at work because of it... Theres a scrap blank we have some 14 inches accross and about an inch and a quarter thick. Thats bent from its initial machining about 1/8th of an inch.

We now get all flame cuts stress relieved before machining and leave about 4mm a face for cleaning up and dont bother with grinding.

If your local, i could probably machine your adaptor plate to the required thickness.

I had a 300tdi flywheel machined to take the lexus ring gear and turned down so the starter motor wouldnt interfere with it. The centre was turned out very slightly to fit on the back of the engine. I then measured the distance from the face of the flywheel to the standard engine/bell housing surface and added on the distance the flywheel is normally recessed into the flywheel housing, just to position the gearbox the right distance from the engine so I can use the standard clutch setup. If that makes sense!

Jad